US Structural Shapes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Structural Shapes

This is one thing you don't see much of. Or should I say you don't see anymore, unless you dismantle a old steel structure.

sigpic

I believe I'd cut it out and make a wall hanging.....lol

I just bought some mill lengths of 1" black iron pipe for my shop air supply and it's stamped Sharon Tube, Sharon Penna.

I have an old Bliss Press Plate in cast aluminum I made into a wall hanging. I got to haul the entire line of Bliss underdrive stamping presses out of the old Cadillac Grand Blanc plant years ago. There were 11 presses, all 750 ton underdrives with material handling equipment. They replaced the presses (single station) with multi station transfer units. I spent a whole summer with a 70 ton Talbert double drop with a jo-dog, hauling permit loads to Detroit Marine Terminal. That was a good paying summer. Every morning, stop at the MDOT center in Southfield and get 2- heavy haul permits on approximate weight and dimensions and go haul 2 loads and go home. Repeat the next day.

The whole line went on ships, across the pond to, of all places China. Nafta was alive and well even 30 years ago.

At least the Bliss were replaced with Minsters.
    So little time...So many machine tools.........
    www.flipmeisters.com

Miller, Hobart & Lincoln TIG/MIG/-
    Hypertherm Plasma (Thanks Jim)
    Plasma-Cam DHC (coming shortly)
    Harris OA
    Too many motorcycles.............-
    sigpic

Comment

So, you hauled that machinery out of the Cadillac plant, like the plant that made Cadillacs?

Comment

Originally posted by SidecarFlip View Post
        ...The whole line went on ships, across the pond to, of all places China. Nafta was alive and well even 30 years ago...
        What does the North American Free Trade Agreement have to do with China?

Comment

Was that plant originally the Grand Blanc Tank Arsenal?
          --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
          -------------------------

Comment

I have some 1", 2" and 3" steel pipe with Youngstown Sheet and Tube rolled in it. Going to make some wall hangings...Bob
            Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
            Metal Master Fab
            Salem, Ohio
            Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
            http://www.ceilingtrains.com/
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sawking/
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southbend10k/

Comment

Originally posted by AZwelder1 View Post
              So, you hauled that machinery out of the Cadillac plant, like the plant that made Cadillacs?
              Don't know. The plant was named 'Cadillac Grand Blanc'. I presume they stamped sheet metal for Cadillac cars and others there.

Originally posted by MAC702 View Post
              What does the North American Free Trade Agreement have to do with China?
              Everything, including the chi-com computer you are typing on (I am too). The press line went to China so they could make stamped metal parts to sell here under the guise of free trade and no import duty. Thank Clinton and all the rest after him for your degrading living standard. You earned it.

Originally posted by usmcpop View Post
              Was that plant originally the Grand Blanc Tank Arsenal?
              I believe it was, much like the Alcoa Aluminum plant on Harvard Avenue was originally a defense plant that produced fuselage parts for bombers.

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
              I have some 1", 2" and 3" steel pipe with Youngstown Sheet and Tube rolled in it. Going to make some wall hangings...Bob
              At least the Electrunite (I think that's how it's spelled) is still around, producing seamless drawn steel tubing for hydraulic application. I remember Youngstown Sheet and Tube and Struthers. Lots of good jobs went right down the toilet. My dad worked for Republic.

I got to watch the demise of Struthers firsthand and my thoughts were (at that time) ..... I'm witnessing the demise of heavy industry in this country, the very backbone of the economy'.... that's proven true over and over.

I got to watch Weirton go down too. When they went ESOP, I knew they were doomed.
              So little time...So many machine tools.........
              www.flipmeisters.com

Miller, Hobart & Lincoln TIG/MIG/-
              Hypertherm Plasma (Thanks Jim)
              Plasma-Cam DHC (coming shortly)
              Harris OA
              Too many motorcycles.............-
              sigpic

Comment

This is one thing you don't see much of. Or should I say you don't see anymore, unless you dismantle a old steel structure
                After this was posted I knew I had seen a USS stamp somehwere recent.
                Finally, was over at a buddys shop today and it was on a piece of C channel in a press he has.

Comment

I thought the main floor support beam in the basement had USS on it. Out of curiosity I just went down there and found that I was mistaken. It say's Inland on it.

Comment

Working...
                  X