Price of A36 Steel in Your Area?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Price of A36 Steel in Your Area?

Just wondering what you guys are paying for A36 steel in your area. I have some 1/4" sheets of plate that weigh a little over 700# each. I am selling them by the sheet and just had a guy call wanting info on them. I told him the size and he started to calculate weight. I went ahead and told him they were around 720# each. He instantly said, "So you are saying it is 35 cents per pound?" I told him I didn't know the price per pound, but I was selling for $250/sheet.

After his raking me thru the coals, I just wanted to see what you guys are paying if you have to order it. I was under the impression it just went up a few weeks ago. Thanks.

It did just go up but the cost per pound will be determined on the condition and/or finish.

I'll find out today. I have to go into work and coincidently my employer is a steel service center, actually ythe second largest processor of flat rolled in the United States. I'll check the computer and see where it is.

You can also call Alro or Contractors Steel or even Tyssen-Krupp and get a will call price on your gage and finish.

All have websites and all have 800 numbers.

I view your material as secondary because you probably can't back up the chemistry with proveable chemical certification. That makes it worth less.

Around here, we refer to your material as 1010.
    So little time...So many machine tools.........
    www.flipmeisters.com

Miller, Hobart & Lincoln TIG/MIG/-
    Hypertherm Plasma (Thanks Jim)
    Plasma-Cam DHC (coming shortly)
    Harris OA
    Too many motorcycles.............-
    sigpic

Comment

We are paying around .60 cents per lb. feel that we are gitting ripped off at times but they are the only ones that deliver 240 miles.

your price is cheap don't back down, raise it.

john

Comment

Thanks guys. As I said, I am not a dealer or anything like that. I just bought a lot of 1/4" plate that a welding manufacturer had purchased for an addition they were building. It sat around for a few years as they decided not to build the addition. I bought it and had to transport it home. I do not have any sort of certification on it. All I can say is there is like a stamp printed across the steel that says A36 and some other info that I don't understand. The steel has very minor surface rusting that would easily clean up with a wire brush. I know it isn't new, but it isn't scrap grade by any means. I have had 2 different surplus buyers to call me and ask all kinds of questions about it. They seemed interested, but I haven't seen any money from them, so it was just a waste of my time. Would still love to hear prices from some of you guys, but I feel my price is reasonable, to say the least.

Comment

if they are dealers calling on it, they are pretty sure right up front they can double their money or more. Dealers or scrappers I would hold my price firm or raise it if they start getting pushy. Anybody that needs a mill cert has no business buying it from you either, if they legit NEED mill certs & they are looking to buy from "some dude they never met before" then they are crooked as sin. I deal with mill cert tracability issues all the time. If you can sell onesie-twosie to some local guy, small fab shop or home fabricator then think what you have into it and if he could ever do right by you and price accordingly.

course if you have a sudden need for money, sach as happens, then figure out what you need and get at least that. Stuff is only worth what some one else is willing to pay for it.

Comment

Price of A-36 Steel

I just looked up weights of steel.
            1/4 inch plate is 11.26 lbs/sq ft.
            48"x96" or 4 ft. x 8 ft. - 360.3 lbs. not 700 +
            just my 2 cents

regards M J Mauer in Andover Ohio
            Lincoln A/C 225
            Everlast PA 200

Comment

Originally posted by M J Mauer View Post
              I just looked up weights of steel.
              1/4 inch plate is 11.26 lbs/sq ft.
              48"x96" or 4 ft. x 8 ft. - 360.3 lbs. not 700 +
              just my 2 cents

regards M J Mauer in Andover Ohio
              MJ;
              They are not 4'x8' they are 5'x14.3'... 1/4" sits @ 10.2 lbs per Sq. Ft.(Alro Spec. Book)
              sigpic

Comment

Price of A-36 Steel

Well O K thanks for the reply.

Regards: M J Mauer Andover,Ohio
                Lincoln A/C 225
                Everlast PA 200

Comment

It's roughly $0.50 per pound for new stuff here. Thin stuff, tube, or other complex shape gets a little more money.

Dynasty200DX w/coolmate1
                  Econotig (for sale)
                  MM210
                  Lincoln AC225 tombstone
                  Victor O/A
                  Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
                  Ingersoll-Rand 2475N7.5FP
                  Evolution Rage3
                  AEAD-200 on extended loan from Dad

Comment

Originally posted by urch55 View Post
                    MJ;
                    They are not 4'x8' they are 5'x14.3'... 1/4" sits @ 10.2 lbs per Sq. Ft.(Alro Spec. Book)
                    that's what we called 10 lb plate in the navy.
                    tc.....jim

miller bobcat 225
                    miller AEAD200LE with hf tig
                    mm175, mm252 w/30a
                    lincoln PT 225, mm211, TA181i
                    stickmate LX 235/160
                    Speedglas 9100X/9100XX/Miller DE
                    hypertherm 380
                    TD cutmaster 52
                    steel max 14" & evolution 7.5" dry cut saws
                    2 victor journeyman/3 superange, smith little, meco midget torches
                    ridgid chop saw
                    kalamazoo band saw/ 8-4.5" & 1 rockwell 9" grinder
                    case 580 backhoe for things i can't lift

if at first you don't succeed
                    trash the b#####d (me )

Comment

Originally posted by AndyA View Post
                      It's roughly $0.50 per pound for new stuff here. Thin stuff, tube, or other complex shape gets a little more money.
                      Where is "here"? $0.50 per pound there-here seems cheaper than what I can get near-here.

(Back in the prohibition days, stores would advertise "We sell near beer here, because near beer is the only beer sold near here.)
                      --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
                      -------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by jbmprods View Post
                        that's what we called 10 lb plate in the navy.
                        Amen with that. I have had dealings with a Navy guy and I got used to that terminology.
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X