X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • the forge
    • Feb 2010

Cast Iron to steel.

I am making a candle holder out of 1" square, hot rolled steel bars and going to use square, cast iron post caps as the drip cups. What rod would you suggest to TIG weld these two together? The bar is solid and the caps are about 1/16" thick at the welding area. I realize that I will need to preheat the bars before welding.
    Thanks,
    Joe
  • Hotfoot
    • Apr 2005

1/16" sounds mighty thin for Cast Iron...is that thickness correct? If they slip on pretty nicely< I would just epoxy them on. I've doe that with cat-to steel ornamental fence parts that fit fine, and just needed to be stuck. I've also MIG'ed cast to steel...its not a weld...more kike a hot glue solution...Hot Glue may be stronger!
    "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

• urch55
      • May 2009

What about using brass as filler.? Just like brazing cast to steel.
      I have had good results brazing cast.
      sigpic

Comment

• yorkiepap
        • Nov 2007

Hey Joe,
        Your application sounds like a perfect candidate for using silver-solder with O/A. Sil-sol is quite strong & very easy to use with a little practice.

Denny
        Complete weld/mach./fab shop
        Mobile unit

"A man's word is his honor...without honor, there is nothing."

"Words are like bullets.... once they leave your muzzle, you cannot get them back."

"I have no hesitation to kill nor reservation to die for the American Flag & the US Constitution."

Comment

Working...
        X