1" plate isn't flat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shorts View Post
    The bow is .070" at the edge. Looks like I heated the heck out of when I welded the cross piece on
    Take a good heavy punch or chizzel and put a 3/16 - 1/4 radius on the end.
    Use a good drilling hammer.
    http://www.fatboybeer.com/fatboypg.jpg
    Now work your way around the tube, (the weld) peening progressively.
    Three times around.... and your plate will return to near flat.

It's called "mechanical" stress releif.
    I've used it for decades to salvage weldments bowed
    too far out of plane to machine to print.

Cheers
    Phil
    Last edited by vicegrip; 09-11-2010, 04:33 PM.
    sigpicViceGrip
    Negative people have a problem for every solution

Comment

Phil,

You've probably made chips nearly as big as those plates. Hey, how would you like one of these? Has about a 40 ft. x 100 ft. table and 300 HP spindle.

--- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
      -------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by usmcpop View Post
        Some folks weld a bead(s) across the bow on the convex side. That upsets the metal on that side a bit and when it cools it tends to shrink in that direction. Not sure to what thickness this will work.
        That's how I pull pressed in liners in dry linered diesel engines. I run a bead of weld vertically up (or down) one side and another bead at 180 degrees. When they cool, the liner drops out. You don't have to pull the crank so long as you cover the journals with something heavy and not flammable. I use an old leather welding cape.

Can be any rod. I prefer my 7018 reverse but any will do. I imagine you could use a MIG but I've never tried that.

The new liners go in the freezer overnight or in dry ice for a couple hours and drop right in. You level them to ther deck with a parallel and a brass hammer.

It works on any dry linered engine, lawnmowers included. Don't have to be a diesel.
        So little time...So many machine tools.........
        www.flipmeisters.com

Miller, Hobart & Lincoln TIG/MIG/-
        Hypertherm Plasma (Thanks Jim)
        Plasma-Cam DHC (coming shortly)
        Harris OA
        Too many motorcycles.............-
        sigpic

Comment

Sidecar, that's also exactly how you change the bushings that hold the pins on backhoe buckets. Run a bead of 7018 DC+, when the weld cools, pop it out with a ball pein, the new one is on dry ice and beat it in with a dead blow. Works great. However, gotta work fast in Arizona in July.
          Little John Deere
          ----
          Hobart HH140
          Miller Thunderbolt 300 Arc Welder
          Victor Oxy/Acet. Setup from Grandpa
          Yeah, I have some Harbor Freight Stuff
          SR 71 Blackbird, picked up off of CraigsList
          ----
          Are you a proud American? Where are our leaders? Why did the easy questions become hard and the hard questions get answered without answers?

Comment

I'm sorry I forgot. The name sounds familiar - bu I can't say that I know him. I'm terrible with names, but I'll remember any face.
            Little John Deere
            ----
            Hobart HH140
            Miller Thunderbolt 300 Arc Welder
            Victor Oxy/Acet. Setup from Grandpa
            Yeah, I have some Harbor Freight Stuff
            SR 71 Blackbird, picked up off of CraigsList
            ----
            Are you a proud American? Where are our leaders? Why did the easy questions become hard and the hard questions get answered without answers?

Comment

Here is sort of on topic link.
              http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/BRIDGE/steel/01.cfm

Comment

VG,

I thought you might find this interesting. It's a pic of the business end of the end mill I have been spending the most time with lately. . . with a dime in the background for scale. it's a 10x mag pic.

my first time loading a pic to the site so bear with me if it doesn't work.

Comment

Sawdaddy

What are you cutting with that? What size is it? We use .010-.015 endmills on a fairly regular basis. They can be challenging to work with. Sometimes the biggest challenge is just getting them set up in the machine without breaking them first.

Comment

Originally posted by SAWDADDY View Post
                    VG,

[ATTACH]31804[/ATTACH]

I thought you might find this interesting. It's a pic of the business end of the end mill I have been spending the most time with lately. . . with a dime in the background for scale. it's a 10x mag pic.

Must be a good story, that goes with that PIC No?
                    vg
                    sigpicViceGrip

Comment

Originally posted by vicegrip View Post
                      Must be a good story, that goes with that PIC No?
                      vg
                      we do some prototype work for aerospace and defense teir 1 suppliers. That is a tool I designed to solve the final problems on a roughly 18 month project. We are milling a specialty bronze alloy and due to the aprox 8x length:dia (.031 end mill) there have been many challenges. We have never (yet) gone down to .010 but we do also mill hardened tool steel Rc 30-35, with small mills. Our endmill suppliers make endmills down to .002" but those are really for circuit board routing not metal cutting. Hard to see in the photo but there are no sharp corners, and it is tapered. It has been a great solution. My "big" machine is a Haas VM3 4 axis, not big compared to horizontal machines, but still big for what we do and a substantial VMC by most accounts. I hesitate to go into any product details on defense programs in an online forum as I am sure you understand. This isn't our first prototype project though. People are amazed when you tell them YEARS on these projects, we are almost done with this one, and JUST finished another after about 26 months. There were SIX print revisions on that project though. Including one I submitted and was accepted, there will be a US military chopper with a (VERY small) design change of mine in service in the next couple years that will likely serve for many decades. Major nerd pride!

perhaps more up your alley when I was with Kennametal engineering I quoted boring bars over 10' (FEET) long and over 18" Ø. We also did "bar peeler" insets for mills that were basically family size ivory soap bars except solid sintered carbide.

if the endmill is 1"Ø, 8"Ø or .031"Ø it's all the same calculations, only the decimal place changes.

Comment

Originally posted by SAWDADDY View Post
                        I hesitate to go into any product details on defense programs in an online forum as
                        I am sure you understand.
                        >>>>>>>>I certianly DO understand<<<<<<<
                        This isn't our first prototype project though. People are amazed when you tell them YEARS on these projects, we are almost done with this one, and JUST finished another after about 26 months. There were SIX print revisions on that project though. Including one I submitted and was accepted, there will be a US military chopper with a (VERY small) design change of mine in service in the next couple years that will likely serve for many decades. Major nerd pride!
                        Major nerd pride!
                        Noth'n wrong with blow'n yer Own Horn.

I still cherrish one of my biggest feathers in my cap.
                        Back in the telleX days doing a solo redesign of
                        failed measuring equipment on a start-up, in South Africa.
                        They put some more of my design in Spain & Cananda.
                        I met the field engineer over a decade later.
                        All units still running service free.
                        vg
                        sigpicViceGrip

Comment

If you can find someone with a shaper, they could flatten it right up.

Must-see video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEIzbCD8qWc
                          --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
                          -------------------------

Comment

If you can find someone with a shaper, they could flatten it right up.

Must-see video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEIzbCD8qWc

That is just cool.
                            Lincoln AC225
                            Lincoln Weld-Pak HD

Comment

I, at one time, thought of building the Gingery version. They are pretty neat.

Dave
                              Still building my new old truck - see the progress!
                              http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/65...-coe-idea.html
                              http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...ad.php?t=27017

Square Wave TIG 200 - Woot!
                              MM180
                              SP125+

Comment

There are several grinding shops in the DFW area. Commerce Grinding in Dallas even has a grinder with a 300 inch diameter table! Perhaps they have a few scraps

http://www.commercegrinding.com/photo-gallery.html

Do a Google maps search using "blanchard grinding dfw texas"

now thats a blanchard grinder, biggest i ran had a 60" table on it....

the proper way to do the plates would be to have them face milled then kissed off on a blanchard.. probably be around $100 in my area..

the machune shops that are left are actually pretty busy..

Comment

Working...
                                X