Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with steel reservoir repair

Hello Hobarters,

Next week, I am going into a steel reservoir to weld on some bandaids. Originally, the tank was built with no cathodic protection and a lot of the steel above the water line rusted. During sandblasting, it was discovered there is significant pitting in the steel.

The engineers decision was to install 90 lf of "bandaids" in the bad areas. The bad areas are from the roof line 2' down. The bandaids have to attach to an angle iron ledger on top and notched and welded around the rafter clips every 6'2". The steel bandaid is 3/16" plate x 24" wide x 10 lf. Our process will be stick welding and wire feed dual shield w/gas with .045 wire.

Question #1- This is on a long radius. The tankies use clips & wedgies to bend their steel. I am going to do something similar. Do you all think I need a hole in the center of the plate to draw the steel into the tank? I do not on 24" wide. If the steel was wider, I think it would bow in the middle.

Question #2 - Management was to use 10' pieces of plate to reduce welding. It weighs around 200 lbs. We have to handle this by hand 16' in the air on scaffold. The plate has to be notched around the rafter clips. So, lifting a 10' piece of plate, by hand, around the rafter clips, into the wedges to bend it and tack it up. My suggestion is to cut the length of the plate at the rafters and notch each end at the clips. This adds a vertical weld, but installing the plates would be easier. We have about 100 lf of plate to put up. Which way would you all do it?

Sorry no pics and I realize now this is a long question. Thanks for your time and input.
    Little John Deere
    ----
    Hobart HH140
    Miller Thunderbolt 300 Arc Welder
    Victor Oxy/Acet. Setup from Grandpa
    Yeah, I have some Harbor Freight Stuff
    SR 71 Blackbird, picked up off of CraigsList
    ----
    Are you a proud American? Where are our leaders? Why did the easy questions become hard and the hard questions get answered without answers?

Originally posted by LittleJohnDeere View Post
    Hello Hobarters,

Next week, I am going into a steel reservoir to weld on some bandaids. Originally, the tank was built with no cathodic protection and a lot of the steel above the water line rusted. During sandblasting, it was discovered there is significant pitting in the steel.

The engineers decision was to install 90 lf of "bandaids" in the bad areas. The bad areas are from the roof line 2' down. The bandaids have to attach to an angle iron ledger on top and notched and welded around the rafter clips every 6'2". The steel bandaid is 3/16" plate x 24" wide x 10 lf. Our process will be stick welding and wire feed dual shield w/gas with .045 wire.

Question #1- This is on a long radius. The tankies use clips & wedgies to bend their steel. I am going to do something similar. Do you all think I need a hole in the center of the plate to draw the steel into the tank? I do not on 24" wide. If the steel was wider, I think it would bow in the middle.

Question #2 - Management was to use 10' pieces of plate to reduce welding. It weighs around 200 lbs. We have to handle this by hand 16' in the air on scaffold. The plate has to be notched around the rafter clips. So, lifting a 10' piece of plate, by hand, around the rafter clips, into the wedges to bend it and tack it up. My suggestion is to cut the length of the plate at the rafters and notch each end at the clips. This adds a vertical weld, but installing the plates would be easier. We have about 100 lf of plate to put up. Which way would you all do it?

Sorry no pics and I realize now this is a long question. Thanks for your time and input.
    Yes I think you will have to draw the middle in. Being it is managements idea to handle 10'x2' sheets of 5/16" on scaffolding have them place the sheets for you. This sounds like there will be many pinched body parts or worse. Your idea of cutting the sheets down to a manageable size is good.

Comment

Well,

To update you guys, the cost savings on the larger material is significant. I figured out a way to hang the sheets and at the time we do this we will have 2 more guys.

I will post some pics for you guys when I am done.

Thanks
      Little John Deere
      ----
      Hobart HH140
      ----
      Are you a proud American? Where are our leaders? Why did the easy questions become hard and the hard questions get answered without answers?

Comment

Originally posted by lars66 View Post
        Being it is managements idea to handle 10'x2' sheets of 5/16" on scaffolding have them place the sheets for you.
        Never actually held a job, have you?
        Trailblazer 302 * Millermatic 212 * Syncrowave 180SD * X-Treme 12VS Feeder * Spoolmate 3035
        Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Plasma * Lincoln 175 MIG

Victor Superrange II * Victor Journeyman

Hobart HH 125EZ

Comment

Not quite sure what you mean there
          Little John Deere
          ----
          Hobart HH140
          ----

Comment

Originally posted by Zrexxer View Post
            Never actually held a job, have you?
            A few, and I remember all the stupid stuff that was done. Now I have 38 years of management Expirence.

Comment

Working...
            X