Making Angle from Flat Steel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Angle from Flat Steel

I know this may sound like a stupid question, but is it possible (or feasible) to make angle or channel out of flat plate steel? I know it could be done with thin metal, but if I had 1/4" flat steel just laying around, how could I bend it into 2x2 or 3x3 angle or even like 2x4 channel? No, I'm not crazy but just wondering instead of having to buy some. This would be pieces that would be 10+ feet long and not just a few inches. I do have a 20 ton press, if it makes any difference. TIA.

You can do it but not with a 20 ton press at home. It takes a full size machine. Not worth the effort for small shops.
    http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

Boatboy,
      I can make angle, but only 12" at a time.
      If you wanted to make it in 10 ft. lengths the press/brake would be the size of a single car garage. Even a roll to form it cold would be huge.

sigpic

Comment

According to our charts, bending 1/4" steel in a 3" v opening is 8.5 tons per ft. A 1 1/2" v opening is 30 tons per ft.

Comment

Originally posted by urch55 View Post
          Boatboy,
          I can make angle, but only 12" at a time.
          If you wanted to make it in 10 ft. lengths the press/brake would be the size of a single car garage. Even a roll to form it cold would be huge.
          Ok, is it possible that I could use a jig like yours and make a 10' stick by simply bending 12" at a time, or would it cause it to have flex/roll at the ends of where each section was "pressed"?

Comment

Originally posted by boatboy63 View Post
            Ok, is it possible that I could use a jig like yours and make a 10' stick by simply bending 12" at a time, or would it cause it to have flex/roll at the ends of where each section was "pressed"?
            Even if you could fit a 10 footer in your press. Starting at one end and working your way to the other, I think it would twist and the legs would not be uniform. Let alone being straight.But other than not being perfect it could be done. I would not bother on a 10 footer. The right angle would have a radius not a tight bend.
            sigpic

Comment

Unless you were making something custom (unavailable from a supplier), the effort required to make angle with your set up is excessive. How much is your time and labor worth, compared to the cost of the angle/channel you could buy?
              "never argue with an idiot; he'll bring you down to his level, and win by experience"

Comment

Tonnage chart: http://www.accurpress.com/toolingref_tonchart.html
                --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
                -------------------------

Comment

I'm about as open-minded as they come.
                  AND I've had a few brakethru's.

Trust me 10 feet with 30 tons is a brain-fart.
                  Not diss'n you for the idea, just save'n you the effort.
                  Take care.
                  VG
                  sigpicViceGrip
                  Negative people have a problem for every solution

Comment

Originally posted by vicegrip View Post
                    I'm about as open-minded as they come.
                    AND I've had a few brakethru's.Trust me 10 feet with 30 tons is a brain-fart.
                    VG
                    So Vicegrip/Phil, Are you saying a brain-fart keeps your mind open.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by urch55 View Post
                      So Vicegrip/Phil, Are you saying a brain-fart keeps your mind open.
                      I won't say it keeps mine open, but it does air it out sometimes. Of course, you know where farts come from, so you can see why I need to keep it aired out.

Comment

I needed some 1x1 angle for the top rails on my livestock feeders so I took some 1" slit strips clamped them at 90 degrees with welding magnets and C clamps and welded up my 1x1 angle. It was 8 foot long. Came out pretty good. Cattle don't know the difference anyway. Used 7018 reverse, as usual.
                        So little time...So many machine tools.........
                        www.flipmeisters.com

Miller, Hobart & Lincoln TIG/MIG/-
                        Hypertherm Plasma (Thanks Jim)
                        Plasma-Cam DHC (coming shortly)
                        Harris OA
                        Too many motorcycles.............-
                        sigpic

Comment

dont think it would be feasible... heck how much is a 20foot piece of 2inch angle $30, its been a while since i bought a full stick though..

Comment

A 20 foot length of 2" x 2" x 1/4" angle weighs about 64 pounds. What's the ballpark price per pound for steel these days?
                            --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
                            -------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by usmcpop View Post
                              A 20 foot length of 2" x 2" x 1/4" angle weighs about 64 pounds. What's the ballpark price per pound for steel these days?
                              depends on form & volume per purchase, here 2 weeks ago it was from about 55cents/# to about 79cents/#, 2x2x1/4 was near the bottom of that, my quote shows $37.64 for 1 stick (20' long)

Comment

Working...
                              X