X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boykjo
    replied
    I agree with scott, I would tack every inch and use visegrip clamps
    (while tacking) before running beads. keep to the thicker material and let flow to the thinner material. Try to keep the material from distorting by keeping it cool and once it all tacked in place. have at it. Good luck!
    BREAK OUT THE CAMERA AND POST SOME PICS OF YOUR PROGRESS

Leave a comment:

• Scott Young
    replied
    set your heat to weld the 3/16th and wash the puddle on the thinner sheet. your heat will be concentrated on the thicker. I would run several practice pieces before jumping into the deep end on the real thing. I would do this for every joint change and at the beginning of each day that you are planning on welding your project. Yes it may talk a hour or so longer in the total time, but it will save you plenty of frustration overall. I also would skip around so you minimize distortion.

Leave a comment:

• kc5ngx
    replied
    16ga. sheet metal fit up tip

Thanks for the tip Zrexxer! I guess you really need to have good fitup and a fairly fast travel speed.

Take Care,

John

Leave a comment:

• Zrexxer
    replied
    Fitup is crucial. Keep your fit tight and your burnthrough problems will be minimized. Anywhere you have a gap will create a heat concentration on an edge that will try to burn back on you.

Leave a comment:

• lakailimited06
    started a topic welding 16gauge steel any tips?

welding 16gauge steel any tips?

im making a rear bumper for my jeep and the frame of the bumper is made of 3/16"x2"x6" and already weighs a ton so i have a huge sheet of 16g im going to use for filler (fill the gaps between the body of the jeep and the bumper) to make it look like one piece once the welds are all ground down...

i have a hobart 210 and it says it can go as low as 24g, i dont have a gas setup only .030 or .035 flux core at the moment...just wanted to know if you guys had any tips? how easy is it to burn through this thin material?
Working...
X