issue with pipe welding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• issue with pipe welding

i have been building a custom exhuast setup for my race car i was doing pertty good intell i ran into a issue where i burned throw the pipe and now there is some welding wire inside the pipe. this would not be a big deal if it was just exhuast pipe but its before my turbo so i dont want anthing inside the pipe that could brake loss and mass up my turbo so how can i get the welding wire out of the pipe its got a couple bends in it and so on so you can see where the wire is but i know its in there and i need to knwo how to brake it loss
    have
    hobart handler 187
    lots of hand and air tools
    motor lift,motor stand
    2 tall tool boxes
    lots of shop lights
    2 wood stoves "still not enough heat for my 6 car shop"
    6" ginder
    hand ginders
    2 work tables
    14" chopsaw
    drills
    3 floor jacks from 3000 pounds to 33,000 pounds and countless jack stands

need
    more clamps
    more cutting tools like torches

Originally posted by new welder guy View Post
    I have been building a custom exhaust setup for my race car. I was doing pretty good until I ran into issue where I burned threw the pipe and now there is some welding wire inside the pipe. This would not be a big deal if it was just exhaust pipe, but its before my turbo. So I don't want anything inside the pipe that could brake loose and mess up my turbo. How can I get the welding wire out of the pipe. Its got a couple bends in it and so on so you can't see where the wire is. But I know its in there and I need to know how to break it loose.
    You can fish towel through tube and pull it back an forth to see if it hangs up on the wire. But, about only way to really know how welds look inside your exhaust manifold is looking with fiber optic bore scope. See them on page 80, & 81 Sears 2009-2010 tool catalogue. Harbor Freight also sells them. Because I don't have a bore scope. I would cut out 1 or 2 welds on suspect tube with Dremel cutting disc to remove tube section to see and eliminate suspect welds. Then reweld exhaust.

Comment

No big deal. Grinding out your bad welds and welding it again is part of welding. Isn't ethical to leave bad welds that will fail.

Comment

Is it possible to get a long chisel in there and knock it out with a hammer?
        If not, you will have to cut out the weld, clean it up and re weld it.
        Lincoln Idealarc 250
        Miller Bobcat 250
        Thermal arc Hefty 2 feeder
        Thermal Dynamics Cusmaster 52
        Torchmate CNC Table

Comment

Working...
        X