Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mild steel welding issues.

Hobart handler 140 mig wire feeder.
    i have welded mild steel with flux cored wire to start to get my grip on welding, but when i ran out of wire i wanted to use solid wire with argon/co2 gas. when trying to weld the same materials i am having issues with the metals bonding. i am using the same .030 diameter wire, but it is solid for "mild steel application". i have tried the range of heat seatings and using gas pressures from 20-25. any advice?

Did you remember to change the voltage taps inside the wire door?
    "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

not quite sure what you mean by that. if by that you mean the polarity, yes i changed that. but other than that there is only the spool of wire, and the pressure/tensioner knob that pushes on spooling mechanism.

Comment

disconnect the drive roller and pull the trigger to see if you hear the gas flow through the nozzle
        sigpic
        Miller trailblazer 301G
        Miller S22P12 feeder w/ss case
        K&K 300 amp 15' .035-.045 (Bernard)
        Miller HF-251D-1, Weldcraft AC torch pkg
        Hobart HH187
        Harris DLX STLWKR
        O/A & chemolene
        WARNING These stunts are performed either by professionals or under the supervision of professionals. I insist no one attempt, recreate, or re-enact any activities performed.

Comment

yes, i hear air coming out.

Comment

If your welding in the garage, try turning your flow down to 12 to 15 CFH.

Comment

What material thickness are you attempting to weld?

With solid wire, a 140 amp 120V unit like the HH 140 is going to start struggling to produce complete fusion between the base metal and the weld metal on material as thin as an 1/8".

Understand, solid wire capability is going to top out around 120 amps or even slightly less. To experience the full potential ( 140 amps range output) of these smaller units you'll need to go back to running the self-shielded fluxcore wire.
              MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
              Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

how about some specifics so we're not guessing? what are you trying to join and how are you set up? Were you really achieving fusion before? I'm just clarifying to better assist.

Comment

Did you reverse the polarity?

Hank
                  ...from the Gadget Garage
                  MM 210 w/3035, BWE
                  HH 210 w/DP 3035
                  TA185TSW
                  Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange
                  Avatar courtesy of Bob Sigmon...

Comment

it was around 1/8" steel. i had power on 4 and wire speed around 50. and yes, i was welding same material the day before with some flux cored wire and the power was on 2, and i beat it with a sledge and the welds were holding, but with the solid wire i would break it with my hands.

Comment

Look in your owner's manual and set the welder voltage and wire feed controls according to the chart.

If you are trying to butt weld the stock, leave about a 1/32" gap between the pieces. Run your bead down the center of the gap. WATCH your weld puddle, and don't move the bead along until you see that you have, in fact, penetrated the base metal.

Try breaking that weld with your hands!

Hank
                      ...from the Gadget Garage
                      MM 210 w/3035, BWE
                      HH 210 w/DP 3035
                      TA185TSW
                      Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange
                      Avatar courtesy of Bob Sigmon...

Comment

I had an HH140 welder and never had a problem. I would regularly weld up to 1/4" mild steel with it using .030 solid wire and never had a problem. You just have to slow down on how fast you move the gun. I can't ever remember a weld breaking. I had mine set up on the highest setting but never ran my wire speed higher than 30, if I recall correctly. I also only used straight CO2 as my local welding shop said it would give better heat and penetration than the argon mix.

Comment

Working...
                        X