Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DaveJeep
    replied
    Thanks for all the advice guys! The cart is finished and it looks pretty good. I will post pics when I get some.

Leave a comment:

• hankj
    replied
    Dave,

For the side that is cut short of the cross pattern, use a small washer as a stiffener. Just lay it up there and weld it in. Tack it to the x-pand on the side away from the edge, and weld the whole thing (x-p + washer) to the edge.

It works!

Hank

Leave a comment:

• DaveJeep
    replied
    Originally posted by hankj View Post
    Sure it will. Just get some small washers and weld a washer onto the x-pand at the same time!

Hank
    Can you explain it in a bit more detail? I kind of get ya but not quite.

Leave a comment:

• hankj
    replied
    Sure it will. Just get some small washers and weld a washer onto the x-pand at the same time!

Hank

Leave a comment:

• DaveJeep
    replied
    The problem is the stuff I had laying here is JUST wide enough to fit on there. It's got about 1/2" on each side of welding area. So only one side has the Xs and the other side just has the thin parts. I don't know if that will still work?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by DaveJeep View Post
    I have the frame of the cart built now, still have to put the wheels on it and do up the expanded metal.

Question, I found just enough expanded metal laying around here at work for the job. How do I tell what size it is? And I will be welding this to the .100 wall, will this be a problem? It will be on the bottom of the tube so it has to hold all the weight.
    Tack the x-mtl in the center of the x where it is thickest. It takes practice to get it just right, without burning the thin parts off.
    Click this link and you will know just as much about expanded metal as any of us here.
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#expanded-metal/=5byf09

Leave a comment:

• DaveJeep
    replied
    I have the frame of the cart built now, still have to put the wheels on it and do up the expanded metal.

Question, I found just enough expanded metal laying around here at work for the job. How do I tell what size it is? And I will be welding this to the .100 wall, will this be a problem? It will be on the bottom of the tube so it has to hold all the weight.
    Last edited by DaveJeep; 01-11-2010, 01:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mudbug
    replied
    Originally posted by ronnielyons View Post
    Took my MM210 to a new level: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ronnielyons. I really enjoy it being up to standing height.
    Now that's as fine a cart as I could imagine! I've never seen one built to hold a welder that tall before,but since my Lincoln 255 has the spoolgun control panel across the bottom you have to almost lay on the floor to see it.

When I first looked at the machine the spoolgun wasn't on it and I didn't even see the control panel. Mine has separate gas lines to the torch and to the spoolgun so a dual bottle rack is a real plus over the single bottle factory rack(2 types of gas). Your design leaves room for the spoolgun storage so it can be left connected.

What's under the welder? is it storage or dead space?

I'm going to give this design some serious thought. I've been wanting to build some sort of cage to contain the welders to protect them from thieves. If it has enough mass and a lock on that side panel they can't just tote it off. I don't intend to push it around like a grocery cart anyway...just contain it and accessories,while still being able to move it around.

So do I need to use Blue paint to contrast with my Red machine? Actually I'm partial to a hammered grey finish.

Thanks for posting those pics.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I vote for expanded metal, too. I have made lots of shelving with #13 x 3/4 which is like 16ga...if you want to go heavier use # 9 x 3/4

Leave a comment:

• hankj
    replied
    The welder ain't goin' nowhere. You won't be runnin' down the street pushin' this thing.

For a bottom shelf, I'd use expanded metal. That way, no dust n' crap will accumulate. Throw a couple cross members in there to support the expanded metal and you can store anything that'll fit.

Hank

Leave a comment:

• DaveJeep
    replied
    Originally posted by Ferntj View Post
    20 ga will be strong enough, but it may sag if you don't put cross members to support the weight. You don't actually need any sheet metal if you have cross members strategically placed.
    For the top where the welder will sit I think I will just use cross members like you said, but for the bottom rack I want it to hold some things.

Do you normally bolt the welder down?

Leave a comment:

• Ferntj
    replied
    20 ga will be strong enough, but it may sag if you don't put cross members to support the weight. You don't actually need any sheet metal if you have cross members strategically placed.

Leave a comment:

• DaveJeep
    replied
    Hey guys, what gauge sheet metal should I use to weld on the floor of this welding cart? Not sure what will support the HH210.

Leave a comment:

• DaveJeep
    replied
    Perfect! I can get 24' of .100 wall 1" square for $20 so that sounds cheap enough for me!

Leave a comment:

• Ferntj
    replied
    .1 inch thick (probably 12 ga) is plenty strong enough for your cart.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X