Square Tubing for Welding Cart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Square Tubing for Welding Cart

I'm going to be building myself a welding cart to hold my HH210, a 'M' sized bottle and some other supplies. It's going to be my second welding project. My first project was building a 2" x 2" 1/8" wall square tubing sign to hold a 8' x 4' billboard sign.

Is 1" x 1" square tubing a good choice? What wall thinness? Or am I better off building it with angle iron? I want it to be durable and am on a tight budget.
    Last edited by DaveJeep; 12-28-2009, 05:37 PM.

210 cart

Uhh...the 210, aint that a roll-around ? I has its own cart and bottle carrier built in? I know the 210 I was looking at today at TSC had a all-in-one system.

just saying!
    Me: Hey Longhorn, hand me that piece o' metal ?

Longhorn BSCE : Sure John, here ya....ARRRGGGHHHH!!!

Me: It might be a tad warm there 'Horny...

Too much gear to list and none of it any different than any other single-hand welder.

Comment

1" x 1" tube verses angle

Originally posted by DaveJeep View Post
      I'm going to be building myself a welding cart to hold my HH210, a 'M' sized bottle and some other supplies. It's going to be my second welding project. My first project was building a 2" x 2" 1/8" wall square tubing sign to hold a 8' x 4' billboard sign.

Is 1" x 1" square tubing a good choice? What wall thinness? Or am I better off building it with angle iron? I want it to be durable and am on a tight budget.
      either one would be fine, I believe the angle iron would be stronger with less welding. most of the carts out there are just 16 guage. I wouldn't recommend anything heavier than 14 guage tube.

since your on a budget see if you can get some remnants at your local metal supplier.

there are a lot of good examples of carts here on the site, check the old posts, and post those pics

Comment

Originally posted by dakkasnik View Post
        Uhh...the 210, aint that a roll-around ? I has its own cart and bottle carrier built in? I know the 210 I was looking at today at TSC had a all-in-one system.

just saying!
        It's the Handler 210, carry around

Comment

I used 1" x 16ga square tubing for my first welding cart. In fact, it still has my MM180 sitting on it with a 200CF bottle. To test the strength, I jumped up and down on it after I built it and it didn't break - and that was one of my first projects. (I'm not going to post pics, because the welds really are bad!) It is basically 4 verticals and a rectangle on top, with a longer rectangle on the bottom to hold the bottle on the back.

Unless you use fairly thick angle, it tends to twist. Maybe not much of an issue on something this size, but I like things to stay the shape I make them. For the weight, the square tubing is torsionally stiffer and just as strong, IMHO.

Dave
          Still building my new old truck - see the progress!
          http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/65...-coe-idea.html
          http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...ad.php?t=27017

Square Wave TIG 200 - Woot!
          MM180
          SP125+

Comment

As a perpetual Scrounger/recycler, let me suggest old Bed Frames for this project. Look at the "free" category on Craigslist, and ask at the receiving areas of Thrift Stores..they get many that are broken at one end, so they scrap them.
            "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

1x1 tube will work
              it'll be more expensive than if you use angle, which will also work.
              unless you have the 1x1 tube laying around, i'd go with the angle.

frank

Comment

I am with Hotfoot here, I probably wouldn't buy anything, I would look for salvage materials, its one of the benefits to having a welding machine, you can build with what others toss.
                http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

I think 1 x 1 is a bit over kill for a cart. You can go much lighter and with the proper joint configuration, and maybe a gusset or two, you can build it just as strong. Check out some of the stuff coming out of China, nowadays....it's thin, and light, but in most cases it's surprisingly strong, too.

Comment

Every cart I have built derived from 3/4" x 3/4" angle.

For reference, I built my neighbors ATV loader out of 1" square .120 wall tube.

Hank
                    ...from the Gadget Garage
                    MM 210 w/3035, BWE
                    HH 210 w/DP 3035
                    TA185TSW
                    Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange
                    Avatar courtesy of Bob Sigmon...

Comment

Originally posted by hankj View Post
                      Every cart I have built derived from 3/4" x 3/4" angle.

For reference, I built my neighbors ATV loader out of 1" square .120 wall tube.

Hank
                      I'm going to make plyometrics boxes for a powerlifter I know using the 1" x 1/8" square. The commercial ones I've seen were much lighter than 1/8" and were plenty strong, but 1/8" is still better.

To Dave
                      My opinion is different than others on here. It might be overkill, but so long as its not too heavy, it can't be too strong. It can be too light though. Make it good and solid and you'll be set for life.
                      Last edited by mike landrich; 12-29-2009, 11:53 AM.
                      "never argue with an idiot; he'll bring you down to his level, and win by experience"

Comment

You guys are giving me lot to think about! That's why I love this forum

Comment

I change them up every once in a while, went from this to this. Before it was the SP cart it was the plasma cart, didn't have to do a single thing to make it a cart for the cutter, I found it that way, made a bench for the welder.

Comment

respect the homeless

Originally posted by Sberry View Post
                            I change them up every once in a while, went from this to this. Before it was the SP cart it was the plasma cart, didn't have to do a single thing to make it a cart for the cutter, I found it that way, made a bench for the welder.
                            I like the 1st one, the homeless downtown welder cart, lol.

Comment

The shop cart just worked so well I used it for long time as homely as it was. When I got the 210 I temp it on my engine stand and then build a real cart for it.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X