Were are you guys buying steel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Were are you guys buying steel?

The only places local to me that I see carry any sort of steel stock is Lowes and Home Depot and they are very limited.

Most of my local metal suppliers are listed in the Yellow Pages under STEEL.
    --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
    -------------------------

Comment

without knowing where you are (hint hint)
      about the only advice you'll get is "look in your local
      yellow pages" or maybe "look in the yellow pages
      of the nearest large town/city"...

frank

Comment

Originally posted by fjk View Post
        without knowing where you are (hint hint)
        about the only advice you'll get is "look in your local
        yellow pages" or maybe "look in the yellow pages
        of the nearest large town/city"...

frank
        Thanks guys. I'm around Detroit, MI.

I've actually found a few local places but they open and close while I'm at work and are not open the weekends. I might have to make do with Lowes.

Comment

Most steel service centers do deliver, granted, they like a certain minimum order. Generally $300 - $500 or so. In fact, most of the ones I deal with would RATHER deliver, than horse around loading a guy's pickup on a will-call basis. I'm mostly portable, sometimes it's hard for me to sit around waiting all day, for a steel order. I simply arranged with a lumber yard a couple miles away, so I could use him as a delivery address, he'd sign for the order, offload the truck, then load me whenever I came by. Slip the owner $20 cash, he was happy, I was happy. And yes, he was open Saturday mornings.

If you can find somebody similar in your area, and you can think ahead enough, order enough material, have the ability to keep some stock on hand, even for a "weekend welder", that's what I would do.

The other alternative, is try to develop relationships with machine shops/ fab shops in your area. The selection will be better, and the price will not be as good as directly from the steel service centers, they still have to make a profit, but the prices won't be as bad as from hardware stores. Many of these places are also open Saturday mornings, especially at certain times of the year, when things are busy.
          *** Disclaimer ***

As I have no wish to toy with anybody's life, I suggest you take this and all other posts with a certain amount of skepticism. Carefully evaluate, and if necessary, research on your own any suggestions or advice you might pick up here, especially those from my posts, as I obviously haven't the skill and experience exhibited by some of the more illustrious and more successful members of this forum. I'm not responsible for anything I say, as I drank toxic water when young.

Comment

I have a local welder who just adds my order to his when I need something. I order by Thursday and pick up on Friday. He basically adds a few percent on to what he pays and I get exactly what I want.
            "never argue with an idiot; he'll bring you down to his level, and win by experience"

Comment

Originally posted by danase View Post
              I've actually found a few local places but they open and close while I'm at work and are not open the weekends. I might have to make do with Lowes.
              I have a real steel place that's open sat. mornings :-)
              But it's here in Mass, and I guess driving out here isn't practical

If you can at all find an alternative to the Blue or Orange stores,
              do it -- they charge an arm and a leg for not much material...
              And their selection is not all that good.

A place I've also found that is better than Big Box, but not as good
              as the real steel place, is a large, superdooper-sized
              hardware store. The one I go to is a true value that's
              over 65,000 sqft -- they have a somewhat better
              selection, and somewhat lower prices, than the Box stores.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by calweld View Post
                Most steel service centers do deliver, granted, they like a certain minimum order. Generally $300 - $500 or so. In fact, most of the ones I deal with would RATHER deliver, than horse around loading a guy's pickup on a will-call basis. I'm mostly portable, sometimes it's hard for me to sit around waiting all day, for a steel order. I simply arranged with a lumber yard a couple miles away, so I could use him as a delivery address, he'd sign for the order, offload the truck, then load me whenever I came by. Slip the owner $20 cash, he was happy, I was happy. And yes, he was open Saturday mornings.

If you can find somebody similar in your area, and you can think ahead enough, order enough material, have the ability to keep some stock on hand, even for a "weekend welder", that's what I would do.

The other alternative, is try to develop relationships with machine shops/ fab shops in your area. The selection will be better, and the price will not be as good as directly from the steel service centers, they still have to make a profit, but the prices won't be as bad as from hardware stores. Many of these places are also open Saturday mornings, especially at certain times of the year, when things are busy.
                Thanks!

The only trouble about the local fab shops is most of them went under when the Big 3 tanked here in Detroit. There used to be a ton and now not so many. I'll keep my eyes open though and talk to the local steel centers.

Comment

Originally posted by mike landrich View Post
                  I have a local welder who just adds my order to his when I need something. I order by Thursday and pick up on Friday. He basically adds a few percent on to what he pays and I get exactly what I want.
                  I just emailed a local mobile welder about this. LOL Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by fjk View Post
                    I have a real steel place that's open sat. mornings :-)
                    But it's here in Mass, and I guess driving out here isn't practical

If you can at all find an alternative to the Blue or Orange stores,
                    do it -- they charge an arm and a leg for not much material...
                    And their selection is not all that good.

A place I've also found that is better than Big Box, but not as good
                    as the real steel place, is a large, superdooper-sized
                    hardware store. The one I go to is a true value that's
                    over 65,000 sqft -- they have a somewhat better
                    selection, and somewhat lower prices, than the Box stores.

Frank
                    Might be cheaper to drive to you than ship heavy steel. hahaha

I figured their prices are high. I had nothing to compare to but just seemed high.

Thanks every one!

Comment

Fastenal Co

1401 Rosa Parks Blvd · Detroit
                      (313) 963-2357

They may have a larger selection than lowes or HD

Dont use them much. They are proud of what they have and always seem to have young kids working there who do know Squat... I was being nice

Thats at my locale store.........
                      sigpic
                      Miller trailblazer 301G
                      Miller S22P12 feeder w/ss case
                      K&K 300 amp 15' .035-.045 (Bernard)
                      Miller HF-251D-1, Weldcraft AC torch pkg
                      Hobart HH187
                      Harris DLX STLWKR
                      O/A & chemolene
                      WARNING These stunts are performed either by professionals or under the supervision of professionals. I insist no one attempt, recreate, or re-enact any activities performed.

Comment

Originally posted by boykjo View Post
                        Fastenal Co

1401 Rosa Parks Blvd · Detroit
                        (313) 963-2357

They may have a larger selection than lowes or HD

Dont use them much. They are proud of what they have and always seem to have young kids working there who do know Squat... I was being nice

Thats at my locale store.........
                        Thanks man. I actually have one like 3 miles away. The only troubles is they are only open when I'm working and not open on weekends. LOL I might have to get out of work early one day and check them out.
                        Their prices fair?

Comment

Thanks man. I actually have one like 3 miles away. The only troubles is they are only open when I'm working and not open on weekends. LOL I might have to get out of work early one day and check them out.
                          Their prices fair?
                          i used them once.
                          my guess was that it was about 2x what i got at my steel center
                          but they cut to exact length (for no extra charge), the steel center
                          i go to they'll burn it +/- about 3". in theory they charge for
                          cutting. in practice they usually forget...

fastenal steel was nice and clean, no rust, no goop, etc.
                          the steel center.... well, i used a lot of flapdisks and
                          wire brushes :-)

the steel center wants me to buy a complete piece (24'?)
                          and sometimes they've said "why not just buy the whole thing?"
                          (hinting that i might pay more if i dont)
                          fastenal will sell me just what i want for no difference in price.

and fastenal has other cool things in the store :-)

the one i dealt with had some pretty decent guys working in it.
                          they'd never ordered steel before i walked in and were
                          quite happy to figure it out with me, etc, etc.

frank

Comment

Their prices fair?
                            Yea! FAIRLY HIGH
                            sigpic
                            Miller trailblazer 301G
                            Miller S22P12 feeder w/ss case
                            K&K 300 amp 15' .035-.045 (Bernard)
                            Miller HF-251D-1, Weldcraft AC torch pkg
                            Hobart HH187
                            Harris DLX STLWKR
                            O/A & chemolene
                            WARNING These stunts are performed either by professionals or under the supervision of professionals. I insist no one attempt, recreate, or re-enact any activities performed.

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
                              X