need some tips ( welding 1" to 3/16")

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need some tips ( welding 1" to 3/16")

whats up guys, didnt get my HH210 yet but its should be here tomorrow and of course im going to do plenty of practicing to get used to this machine before i start a project...

but im going to be welding a 1" thick shackle mount onto 3/16" rect. box using flux core (dont have money for gas yet and ive been using flux since ive been welding)...

heres a pic:

the shackle mounts is going to go through the boxed steel so i can weld it on both sides (for strength)

i just need some tips on welding 1" to 3/16" ive never done that large of a size difference before...

jason

I would think that the 210 would have plenty of get-go unless the 1" takes the heat away to fast. One of the pro's will have to offer input on that one. But as long as it has enough power, you would most likely concentrate your heat on the 1" and wash into the 3/16 and then back to the 1". Not completely sure on your app...... it looks like you are working on a frame of some sort. Oh he!! I bet this is your front bumper isn't it. If so, I would think you need to use maybe a 1/4" plate a couple inches larger then the shackle to spread some of the load across the 3/16. You can still punch it thru, and have another 1/4" plate on the back side. Again this is my opinion, and I am not a pro by any means.
    Stickmate LX 235 AC / 160 DC.
    MM211 AS and Spool-Mate 100.
    Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
    O/A Medium Radnor Torch, Large Victor Torch.
    Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.
    4 x 6 Horizontal Band Saw.
    Rockworth 80 Gallon 2 Stage 16 SCFM @ 175 PSI , 15 SCFM @ 90 PSI.
    Jackson Passive Shade #5 for the plasma.
    I almost forgot the Hobart XVP AD Hood.
    Speedglas 9100x

Projects and Misc Albums
    http://picasaweb.google.com/keesfriend Feel Free to Have a Look ( Just keep in mind I am an amateur )

Comment

If the shackle mount is extra large you might want to preheat it to about 250 degrees, otherwise just put a 3/16 fillet around it on both sides and you will be good to go.
      Flash me! I'm a welder.

American by birth, Union by choice! Boilermakers Local 60

America is a Union.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob the Welder View Post
        just put a 3/16 fillet around it on both sides and you will be good to go.
        Absolutely correct, and this is a point a lot of people seem to miss - even if you somehow achieved 100% penetration on the 1", the joint will never be stronger than the 3/16".

Overwelding a joint doesn't make it stronger, and in some cases is actually a detriment.
        Trailblazer 302 * Millermatic 212 * Syncrowave 180SD * X-Treme 12VS Feeder * Spoolmate 3035
        Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Plasma * Lincoln 175 MIG

Victor Superrange II * Victor Journeyman

Hobart HH 125EZ

Comment

can someone explain this "fillet" thing you guys are talking about?

Comment

nevermind i gues its just the type of weld id be doing in that situation, but yes on all 4 sides im going to and on the back all 4 sides as well... by 3/16, do you mean 3/16" span bead on both surfaces from the seam?

Comment

I hope you only chose to go to 1" for looks or because it was on hand. otherwise 1/2" should hold until your 3/16 bumper gives. (given: I assume it's a bumper, granted: I don't know the cross sectional strength of your unknown tubing size)

Comment

Originally posted by trial&error View Post
                I hope you only chose to go to 1" for looks or because it was on hand. otherwise 1/2" should hold until your 3/16 bumper gives. (given: I assume it's a bumper, granted: I don't know the cross sectional strength of your unknown tubing size)
                im going with 1" because the tabs come premade that thickness...also im thinking of doing the front piece 1/4" instead of 3/16" now

Comment

no to the 1/4"

Hey Jason. What vehicle is this for? How seriously will it be used?
                  I've built many similar pieces and might have an idea I can impart for your project.

Here's the rear bumper I built for my work truck:
                  (Still going strong after fifteen years)

Mike

sigpic WHEELED VEHICLE SERVICE SINCE 1960

Comment

Originally posted by old blue View Post
                    Hey Jason. What vehicle is this for? How seriously will it be used?
                    I've built many similar pieces and might have an idea I can impart for your project.

Here's the rear bumper I built for my work truck:
                    (Still going strong after fifteen years)

its for my 99 Jeep WJ:

im open to any and all ideas, also i think im going to go with 3/4" shackle mounts instead of 1"

Comment

The 1 inch does offer an advantage, it distributes the load out just a tad more than the 3/4 would. For an off-angle pull that would be more critical.

Comment

My vote goes to over cutting your threw plate connection a touch for Complete Joint Penetration then welding at 3/16" or 1/4" weld on both sides, it's got it. For Self Shield I like Hobart Brothers Fabshield 21B. Fabshield Has a 91,000 psi. tensile strength and good bead appearance for Self Shield. Just my $0.02
                        Esab Multimaster 260 Sweet machine!
                        Thermal Arc Arc Master, Don't use it much just got a heck of a deal on this unit
                        Don't talk about it, be about it.

Comment

which wire would you guys recommend .030 or .035?

Comment

Of the two .035" would be my choice
                            Esab Multimaster 260 Sweet machine!
                            Thermal Arc Arc Master, Don't use it much just got a heck of a deal on this unit
                            Don't talk about it, be about it.

Comment

A better bumper

Shhhhsh thats the kind a bumper I need on my truck.... Adding a big light hasn't helped much
                              You cannot legislate morality

Comment

Working...
                              X