No announcement yet.

angle vs rec tube

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Angle and box tube have equal stiffness when they are sized equally. By that I mean that 1/8 wall 2x2 square tube has the same moment of inertia as 1/4 thick 2x2 angle. They will have the same deflection when loaded. But the angle will fail before the tube when the load increases because the angle has a larger distance from the neutral axis to the extreme fiber and so has higher bending stress.

It is possible to design a safe structure from either material.

Comment

5' is TOO narrow

Now that all the experts have come to no agreement whatsoever, leaving you totally confused go HERE

and get busy on your project.
      Mike

sigpic WHEELED VEHICLE SERVICE SINCE 1960

Comment

Well alrighty then. My plans have changed somewhat. Was going to build a single axle 5x10 trailer just to haul my Rhino. During my parts search, I found a travel trailer frame on Craigslist. It's 13'x5'2" wide. 3" channel with what looks like 1 1/2"x2"x1/4 crossmembers. The tongue is 4" channel. I paid $225. It has brakes. Oddly, one spring pack has 8 leafs and the other only 5. Maybe all the heavy stuff in the RV was on that side??
        self taught amature, SIP 115V flux welder (retired) Now using a Clarke EN180 220V machine

Comment

I suppose that the trailer weight could've been heavily biased to one side, but I doubt it. I would suspect that somebody has broken one spring pack and replaced it with a different one. It could even have the same rating, but I think it would be near impossible to know for sure. For example, I've seen 1750# spring packs with 3 leaves and others with 5. Are they roughly the same overall thickness?

It is hard to tell from the pics you attached (they are kinda small), but it almost looks like the frame is made of tube instead of channel. Maybe there is a plate welded to the tail end of the rails that causes the black rectangles in the last pic. Looks like a good start to a trailer, though. I do kinda wonder if the 3" channel is heavy enough to resist bowing, but the wheelbase on the Rhino is probably short enough to keep the weight over the axle ok.

Dave
          Still building my new old truck - see the progress!
          http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/65...-coe-idea.html
          http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...ad.php?t=27017

Square Wave TIG 200 - Woot!
          MM180
          SP125+

Comment

i would spend $40.00 and buy northern tools
            blueprints for trailers there dot approved and
            have a materials list. i have 3 sets and there well done

Comment

Do you have an aproximate cost for just the metal for that car trailer and did you build that one?
              Home
              Hobart Handler 175
              Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC
              with Tig torch and Hi Freq.

Work
              Miller XMT350 CC/CV
              Miller Suitecase 12RC
              Miller Spectrum 1251
              Miller Syncrowave 250
              Miller Dynasty 200 DX
              Miller Goldstar 652

Comment

Design flaw???
                Factory built 7x14 dump trailer, 60" sides. 14,000 gvw.
                Main frame 2x6x3/16" rec.tubing maybe 1/4" the ends were capped. Sub frame 2x3x1/8" Rec. tubing. Tongue 8" 13.75 lb channel.
                sigpic

Comment

Might be the salt air and constant overloading......
                  So little time...So many machine tools.........
                  www.flipmeisters.com

Miller, Hobart & Lincoln TIG/MIG/-
                  Hypertherm Plasma (Thanks Jim)
                  Plasma-Cam DHC (coming shortly)
                  Harris OA
                  Too many motorcycles.............-
                  sigpic

Comment

I guess it depends on how you define "design flaw". To me a design flaw is something obviously wrong, like putting an engine mount through the middle of the serpentine belt. This looks like it is a weak design, but it has worked for awhile. It would definitely benefit from a gusset, though.

Dave
                    Still building my new old truck - see the progress!
                    http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/65...-coe-idea.html
                    http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...ad.php?t=27017

Square Wave TIG 200 - Woot!
                    MM180
                    SP125+

Comment

I would install a two jacks on that dump trailer at the bottom of the cylinder.
                      Tons of HVAC tools
                      IM230
                      Couple angle grinders
                      TurnPro 7x12
                      Rigid Chop saw
                      O/A
                      Drill press
                      Miller Bobcat 225

Comment

Originally posted by Blazey10 View Post
                        I would install a two jacks on that dump trailer at the bottom of the cylinder.
                        Blaze,
                        How would that help? Before you answer think about how a dump works, do you or do you not drive out when the bed is dumped to empty the contents of the bed. So if you had jacks or some kind of stands under it that would be defeating the purpose.

Dave,
                        A weak design that has a high potential to fail, higher than most why would you not call it a design flaw. That "weak design" would work on a much smaller trailer.
                        Using that design there would be two ways one of which using different materials it could have been fabricated and it would hold up fine.
                        sigpic

Comment

Put wheels on the jack. Just for temporary until it's fixed right.
                          Really doesn't mean I would do it. Just don't now how much work is needed as a whole for the trailer. Looks in pretty bad shape though.
                          Just throwing it out there. Looks as if it may have been overloaded. (really)
                          Tons of HVAC tools
                          IM230
                          Couple angle grinders
                          TurnPro 7x12
                          Rigid Chop saw
                          O/A
                          Drill press
                          Miller Bobcat 225

Comment

Working...
                          X