hobart stickmate 235 amp.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hobart stickmate 235 amp.

just brought a hobart stickmate 235amp...i did not stick weld before and i need some first hand ideas for those that are starting out. thanks davie1973

Originally posted by davie1973 View Post
    just brought a hobart stickmate 235amp...i did not stick weld before and i need some first hand ideas for those that are starting out. thanks davie1973
    Davie,
    I'm also just starting out and have a Stickmate, so I may not have the experience or knowledge to help, but you need to be more specific about what ideas you are looking for. Know-how and techniques, or projects or what?
    It's a good forum, you should be able to find someone to answer just about any question.
    Nctox
    Stickmate LX 235/AC 160/DC
    HH 210

Comment

If you can open a Powerpoint slide show, this is worth a glance:

content.lincolnelectric.com/pdfs/knowledge/training/SMAWStickWelding.ppt
      --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
      -------------------------

Comment

Welcome to the site Davie, as said this is a great site with tons of info.

When I bought my machine ( same as yours ) I had an abundant supply of 7018. So I dug in the scrap bin at work and pulled a 6' long piece of sch 40
        4" pipe out and brought it home. I setup DCEP and burnt up a pile of rod. Lots of rod. Well some half rods, cause when I stuck um so bad the flux broke off I had to start with a new one. A 4" pipe has room for several linear feet of bead.

I have to be honest tho, I didn't post any pics until I thought they were at least half way decent. I figured my half way decent was close to a good start for getting pointers.

I love my mig, it sure does lay down pretty beads but when it comes to a vertical up joint that I cant redo I drag out the stickmate. I know the mig will do it, I'm just not there yet.

Good luck.

BTW, I use 7018 since they are FREE!!!! But if I use them on anything other then art, I use from a new package, since they have to be dry.

Tom
        Stickmate LX 235 AC / 160 DC.
        MM211 AS and Spool-Mate 100.
        Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
        O/A Medium Radnor Torch, Large Victor Torch.
        Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.
        4 x 6 Horizontal Band Saw.
        Rockworth 80 Gallon 2 Stage 16 SCFM @ 175 PSI , 15 SCFM @ 90 PSI.
        Jackson Passive Shade #5 for the plasma.
        I almost forgot the Hobart XVP AD Hood.
        Speedglas 9100x

Projects and Misc Albums
        http://picasaweb.google.com/keesfriend Feel Free to Have a Look ( Just keep in mind I am an amateur )

Comment

Some thick flat plate steel works well for first time practice pieces to run beads on.
          I suggest using a real easy beginners rod to learn how to strike and re strike your arc. A rod like 7014 or 6013 is a good beginners rod. Easy to strike and re strike an arc. 7018 (low hydrogen) can be a bit more difficult for a beginner. Once you get the hang of 7014 or 6013 then go to 7018. Is your stickmate the AC only unit or is it the AC/DC unit? If it's the AC/DC unit, use DC+ polarity. If your machine is AC only, the 7014 and 6013 will work fine. 7018 will need to be the 7018AC rods.
          Lincoln Idealarc 250
          Miller Bobcat 250
          Thermal arc Hefty 2 feeder
          Thermal Dynamics Cusmaster 52
          Torchmate CNC Table

Comment

Originally posted by snoeproe View Post
            Some thick flat plate steel works well for first time practice pieces to run beads on.
            I suggest using a real easy beginners rod to learn how to strike and re strike your arc. A rod like 7014 or 6013 is a good beginners rod. Easy to strike and re strike an arc. 7018 (low hydrogen) can be a bit more difficult for a beginner. Once you get the hang of 7014 or 6013 then go to 7018. Is your stickmate the AC only unit or is it the AC/DC unit? If it's the AC/DC unit, use DC+ polarity. If your machine is AC only, the 7014 and 6013 will work fine. 7018 will need to be the 7018AC rods.
            Most 7018's can be run on AC, although they run better with DCEP. But the 7018AC are a good choice (just giving him options if he already has some 7018's).

As far as tips, I would just get a peice of scrap and just start running beads. Just keep stacking them up, watch your travel angle and speed. To get the correct settings, if your using hobart electrodes you can access the data sheets from the hobart website (hobartbrothers.com). These provide a lot of good information. Also, the E-Learning page on this website will give you some starting points.

Here is one tip I gave a friend that helped him with starting. He kept sticking the rods everytime so I told him to try a scratch start and he found that much easier.

Also, pay close attention to arc length. Again, read the E-learning page for pointers and look at the data sheets for correct arc length for given electrodes.

Hope this helps,
            Nick
            Facility Welding Engineer
            Caterpillar

Comment

Working...
            X