X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kenklingerman
    started a topic galvanized sheet metal

galvanized sheet metal

I have had some unused HVAC duct pieces for quite some time now. I'm just wondering if anyone knows any tricks to getting the galvanization off of the material in case this would ever come in handy. I'm simply not interested in welding (poison gases) or painting galvanized metal, but otherwise these are really nice pieces.

I was thinking wire wheel but I have yet to try.

• kenklingerman
    replied
    interesting sideshow because I recently learned of the many many uses of vinegar and how to strengthen it.

It works great for cleaning concrete off of siding, cars, etc.

any way, I just thought the steel could come in handy some day and it seems like a waste. maybe I'll use it for the blades of a yard windmill.

Leave a comment:

• JoeS
    replied
    flap disc or sanding disc on a right angle die grinder. Polish off around a quarter to half inch perimeter, and weld away.

I don't think you need to worry too much with the galvanizing, unless you are welding a ton of it, I never seem to have seen this zinc poisoning thing, and I've welded a bit of galvanized here and there. The trick is to not stick your face in the smoke. My helmet seems to help with that. I do have a vent fan typically running in the shop while welding however, which probably helps.

Leave a comment:

• ptsideshow
    replied
    Vinegar,(Acetic Acid) will remove galvanizing with out the rust vapor problems with some of the other acids. It is slower, but you don't have the disposal problems or issues either.

Granted it does work better for bolts,nuts and it does take longer depending on the strength of the vinegar.
    And sheet metal large sizes my be a problem.

Leave a comment:

• Hotfoot
    replied
    It is very thin, so any welding is going to require skill, or else you'll just blow holes through it (don't ask how I know that). Have you tried Muriatic Acid? I use it to remove the shiny coating on new bolts, chain, etc. Try a small piece, and see what you get...be careful...it is acid, so respect it!

Yesterday, I posted this link to a Miller article re: welding sheet metal. Enjoy!

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...-metal-MIG-TIG

Leave a comment:

• metallurgy
    replied
    If you aren't using mig or tig you can just put a big fan by it and do it outside. Then you can weld it. At your own risk. Get the consent of someone who has actually done it first though.

Solder isn't that expensive either.

Is there any reason you had to weld it? A something in mind? Just because you can't weld it doesn't mean you can't do anything with it.

Leave a comment:

• kenklingerman
    replied
    well that doesn't sound very encouraging. seems like such a waste of nice sheet metal.

Leave a comment:

• metallurgy
    replied
    I had some galvy hurricane ties (before I even tried to buy metal, like 4 years ago) and I tried a wire wheel. It looked good but my DIY torch was hot enough to vaporize it (1" or so out from the brazed joint) and it made me feel sick. I think a wire wheel just removes the very top layer of nickel and makes it look less shiny. So does sandpaper. Maybe you could solder it?

I think if the material is to thin to grind with 80 grit or so then maybe soldering would be adequate, and if it's thicker than that you don't have to worry about it being too thin.

or maybe not

Leave a comment:

Working...
X