How are my welds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

not discouraged Rocky

Seeing your work is not discouraging Rock. I was just overstating, in an attempt to be funny, respect for excellence a quality ever more difficult to find these days. It is just plain good to see the results of years of dedication to a science and art most people will not be able to reach. In truth I look at your work as inspiration, but I am not delusional; I have no thought I will ever duplicate it, starting to weld at age 55.

Comment

Buck, I understood the humor, but I got to thinking that there just maybe someone lurking in the shadows that may struggling with the idea that they will never be able to weld like the pros, and just be satisfied with a half fast welding job that just may inadvertently turn out to be dangerous in the long run. Although learning to weld is a trial and error, (sometimes mostly error) thing, not to be simply satisfied that you covered crack with liquid metal, but to be the best you can be at it. To know that what you have just welded will last for eternity! All welding bears with it a safety responsibility, and striving to achieve what we as pros show here as examples, will prove out help the beginner to become better faster. I was fortunate to always be around some great weldors, and my goal has always been to be a little better than the next guy. I kept that goal even though I have run into guys that weld like machines...something beautiful to behold! So keep trying and you'll get there!
      Arcin' and sparkin', Rocky D <><
      Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
      IF YOU CAN READ THIS, THANK A TEACHER...
      IF YOU'RE READING THIS IN ENGLISH, THANK A SOLDIER!

Comment

Encouraging

You are very encouraging and inspirational Rock. It's appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by buck55 View Post
          Looking at Rocky D's work makes me want to cut the plug off my welder so I won't be tempted to use it again. I mean it is nice to see how it should be done, but I don't expect to ever get in the same ballpark.
          yeah i can relate to this statement...i get frustrated quite a lot myself but like most people im back the next day again trying to figure it out. i dont care if i ever make a penny in any of the areas covered in this forum i find it just so amazing seeing the welds and the projects here. there is a lot of skill, ARTISTRY, knowledge and decent people on here and it gives me the same chills as seeing valentino rossi work his magic....catalunya 2009..laguna seca 08... that list is endless.

Comment

I just got back into welding and this is my first MIG welder (HH 140). I had a buddy of mine who is a welder by trade come over for welding some frame patch plates onto my 93"Jeep Wrangler. He did most of the welding but I asked him if I could give it a shot while he was around to correct any mistakes I made. He had his helmet and I mine so I started running some beads and he was watching and telling me "you're doing good, slower circles,more angle, pull it along more,etc.". After a couple minutes we examined my beads and he said "you're doing great yours' looks just as good as mine, so you're on your own now". He didn't leave but he let me finish up the rest of it. I think if at all possible this is a great way to learn, with someone knowledgeable person watching you run beads, it really gave me a feel for what to do. I used to be fairly proficient at stick welding and Heliarching, but had never done much MIG, but it seems fairly easy. The more I practice though the better I get and my son is getting into it also. A question though for you guys if you see the shape of your weld on the bottom of your work piece and it's smooth but discolored is that just about the perfect amount of penetration ? I mean actually see the width of your bead but be completely smooth with no warpage or bubbling at all on the opposite side of the work piece.

Comment

Depends on the application. Sometimes you will want some reinforcement on the back, sometimes flush is fine. The discoloration you observe on the back is from oxidation due to lack of shielding on the solidifying metal since your shielding gas is covering the top of the weld and not the bottom.
              Facility Welding Engineer
              Caterpillar

Comment

Originally posted by OSU-WE10 View Post
                Depends on the application. Sometimes you will want some reinforcement on the back, sometimes flush is fine. The discoloration you observe on the back is from oxidation due to lack of shielding on the solidifying metal since your shielding gas is covering the top of the weld and not the bottom.
                Thanks for your response. I absolutely love this HH 140. I just bought some wire yesterday at Harbor Freight and it cost me just $19.88 for a 10# spool of .030 MIG solid wire alloy ER70S6 figured I'd give it a try for that price. I tried it last night as I heard the Harbor freight stuff was questionable quality but it laid down a nice smooth and clean bead. I was at a welding supply store also yesterday buying some 11ga. carbon steel plates to make up some rock rail backing plates for my Jeep and they had the same wire for $90.87 for a 10#spool.

Comment

Originally posted by HolyHandler140 View Post
                  Thanks for your response. I absolutely love this HH 140. I just bought some wire yesterday at Harbor Freight and it cost me just $19.88 for a 10# spool of .030 MIG solid wire alloy ER70S6 figured I'd give it a try for that price. I tried it last night as I heard the Harbor freight stuff was questionable quality but it laid down a nice smooth and clean bead. I was at a welding supply store also yesterday buying some 11ga. carbon steel plates to make up some rock rail backing plates for my Jeep and they had the same wire for $90.87 for a 10#spool.
                  I wouldn't go much by the price on the box. My LWS had the same wire marked at $63, but it rang out at $17.

Comment

Originally posted by HolyHandler140 View Post
                    I have never used harbor freight wire, and I dont consider myself a welder at all. Just an engineer in training that wants to learn how to weld. I have used hobart and national standard solid wire, and mckay, radnor, kiswel, and national standard ss wire.

My brother wants me to buy a welder and teach him how to weld. He has a Jeep rubicon and wants to add some stuff to it but wants to make it himself or with me or my uncle whos a welder, so he can customize it.
                    Facility Welding Engineer
                    Caterpillar

Comment

Here's my shot at welding:

I welded these 1/2"x3" bolts to some 1/8" plates and welded the plates to my frame on my Jeep as the original bolts snapped off up inside the nutserts so i just ground them flush and made my own studs to bolt the transfer case skid plate back on. I think I did a fairly good job since I hadn't welded anything in the last 28 years since I got out of college. But let me know what you think.

Comment

Working...
                      X