How are my welds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How are my welds

I just got my new HH210 and this is my first time mig (well flux core until I go get gas) welding, I was practicing on some scrap I have laying around, wanted to get some opinions and tips/pointers on my first welds!

You need to clean the areas of the metal you are welding at the intended welded area. Some of the pics showed weld where the slag had not been cleaned off. It makes for better viewing. A little more info would help also, as far as recommendations are concerned, ie settings, wire size, etc. It is important that the weld fuses the pieces your welding together. I say this not to be a smart-a$$, but for guidance. The first time my son used a mig welder, he had a beautiful bead, but he dropped the plate and the bead fell off.

From what I can tell, your getting there. The thing about all types of welding is practice, practice, practice. I am a fine one to talk, I don't practice nearly as much as I should, of course I just use my welders for hobby and small repairs or fabrications around the house.

There are others on this site are better qualified to advise you than I, but I thought I would share this experience with you.

Hope you the best, and welcome to the site!

Jim
    Last edited by Knowledgeworker; 04-06-2009, 12:07 AM. Reason: Added welcome.
    IN GOD WE TRUST!

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, Baffle them with bull$***.

AMERICA-LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT!

Comment

Clean it off with a wire brush after you weld. I cant tell anything about it because it is so dirty.
      PowerMig 215
      Precision Tig 225
      Old Buzz Box

Hypertherm 600
      HH 125 EZ
      MM 350P
      TB 302 w/ 12RC

Originally posted by scab
      If you are the type of person who gets upset at things breaking brace yourself for possible dissappointment.

Comment

Plenty of pictures and info here... http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...tips/MIG_tips/

Mine always tend to look like this, which is listed as too slow of travel speed, but IMO, it's a fine weld; clean, strong and purdy.

Comment

Originally posted by Fastsc92 View Post
          Mine always tend to look like this, which is listed as too slow of travel speed, but IMO, it's a fine weld; clean, strong and purdy.
          And it's not fluxcore, either.
          Trailblazer 302 * Millermatic 212 * Syncrowave 180SD * X-Treme 12VS Feeder * Spoolmate 3035
          Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Plasma * Lincoln 175 MIG

Victor Superrange II * Victor Journeyman

Hobart HH 125EZ

Comment

Sorry, I would have cleaned it up but I didn't have a wire brush, Ill take some more pictures after I get it cleaned up. As for the strength I would say it is pretty strong. I tried everything I could to break the weld and I couldn't even bend it.

Comment

Are you starting the weld and holding the trigger down until your at the end ...OR just pulsing each bead? Try holding the trigger until your at the end of your weld...If your not already......
              Some people require more attention than others.....Like a LOST DOG and strangers holding out biscuits....

Dynasty 350
              Hobart Beta Mig 200
              Twenty seven Hammers
              Three Crow Bars
              One English Springer Dog

A Big Rock

Comment

The last picture looks a little undercut (speed up the feed a bit) you don't have move the torch for a small weld prep just concentrate on keeping the puddle uniform
                Some people require more attention than others.....Like a LOST DOG and strangers holding out biscuits....

Dynasty 350
                Hobart Beta Mig 200
                Twenty seven Hammers
                Three Crow Bars
                One English Springer Dog

A Big Rock

Comment

looks better then mine
                  just a begginer

Comment

What are your settings? Is your polarity correct for flux cored? E71T-11 or E71T-GS?

I ask because you have a high level of spatter for a 210. Here is a weld on 1/4" I did with a HH210, 030 E71T-GS.

I was goofing around and decided to check how a 210 handles FCAW. Much to my surprise, it was a spatter free weld before chipping.
                    Man is a tool weilding animal

Comment

It appears like a little afraid of it, jerky and unsure of travel speed...this is normal...steady your gun hand by supporting it o something, travel smooth and allow the slag to be pushed back on your weld... drag or pull the weld, like it shows in the manual...it helps to draw guide lines to show the width of the desired bead on the plate with soapstone first.
                      Here is a correct bead on 1/4"

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky D View Post
                        It appears like a little afraid of it, jerky and unsure of travel speed...this is normal...steady your gun hand by supporting it o something, travel smooth and allow the slag to be pushed back on your weld... drag or pull the weld, like it shows in the manual...it helps to draw guide lines to show the width of the desired bead on the plate with soapstone first.
                        Here is a correct bead on 1/4"

Then add a touch of 40 years experience.... Just funnin ya Rocky
                        Esab Multimaster 260 Sweet machine!
                        Thermal Arc Arc Master, Don't use it much just got a heck of a deal on this unit
                        Don't talk about it, be about it.

Comment

plug off

Looking at Rocky D's work makes me want to cut the plug off my welder so I won't be tempted to use it again. I mean it is nice to see how it should be done, but I don't expect to ever get in the same ballpark.

Comment

Originally posted by buck55 View Post
                            Looking at Rocky D's work makes me want to cut the plug off my welder so I won't be tempted to use it again. I mean it is nice to see how it should be done, but I don't expect to ever get in the same ballpark.
                            Whoa!..I never meant to discourage anyone by showing my stuff,...I only want to show what YOU CAN do with this equipment! Sure, I've been welding 55 years, so I have picked up a few tricks that I would like to share, so that you can try to achieve in a shorter amount of time than it took me. Never say "I don't expect to ever get in the same ballpark" because if you do, you will never get there. Rather be positive and say "If he can do it, so can I" and you will.

Comment

Welding school or help from experienced welder like rocky will speed learning to make great welds. Watching welding instruction videos is distant 2nd best because your missing instructor correcting mistakes and telling you what your doing right. Many hours of practice and projects you'll be pretty good.

Then welding 8+ hours a day making welds that pass inspection you to will make great welds because anything else isn't good enough.

Comment

Working...
                              X