2"x2" solid hitch stock

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2"x2" solid hitch stock

Some time ago I cut some 2"x 2" solid bar trailer hitch stock, for a project. I also cut a piece about 1 1/2" long. It feels soo solid in Your hand ,I just like it .Why? ,I don't have a clue,do You? I gave it to My wife ,She likes it! It's on Her office desk at Pixar. One of the Men, in Her department picked it up and loves it.
    Today I'll cut off a few more as silly gifts for Him and others. Do You think It's mild steel or more Carbon content? Silly Old Man

I know what you mean I love big chunks of steel for some resond.
    Dylan

Comment

I also like chunks of steel. One of my favorites is the 1-2-3 block. They are hardened and precision ground. They come in solid or with holes. The cheap imports are available for about $8. a pair on sale for the one with the holes. 2-4-6 blocks are considerably more $. They are useful in the shop, in addition to making nice paperweights.

Chances are your bar is mild steel. I've seen some hollow receiver tubes claim to be made from 1020 or A36 steel. A solid drop-forged ball mount might be higher carbon because it doesn't need to be welded.
      --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
      -------------------------

Comment

Hmmmmmmmmm
        Some people require more attention than others.....Like a LOST DOG and strangers holding out biscuits....

Dynasty 350
        Hobart Beta Mig 200
        Twenty seven Hammers
        Three Crow Bars
        One English Springer Dog

A Big Rock

Comment

Well, this is a strange post, because just this morning I cut a Truck Axle about 1 1/4" in diameter. cut a 9 1/2" chunk off the end, and was holding it thinking what a neat, solid chunk of steel it was! 'must be the positions of the planets or sumtin'

It most definitely would make a heck of a Head Whacker!

"Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Nothing like cold hard steel in your hand...Bob
            Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
            Metal Master Fab
            Salem, Ohio
            Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
            http://www.ceilingtrains.com/
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sawking/
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southbend10k/

Comment

I once ordered a box of 1-2-3 blocks from MSC (one pair). When they were delivered, the carton was really heavy. Seems that they sent me an entire case of about 20 pairs of the 1-2-3 blocks, at the price of a single pair. I've given some away, but still have about 14 pair of 'em hanging around. I wasn't going to go through the hassle of sending them back due to the weight.

Comment

Humm,can honestly say I've never felt any kind of anything holding a heavy piece of metal,,[except maybe,,are we there yet],,,must not be smoking the right stuff,,thingy

Comment

Heavy metal... YEE HAH!

I must admit, I kind of like the feel of the silver bar I got in Thailand many years ago. It's about the size of a candy bar, but quite heavy.

Comment

Ya, I kinda like the feel of that solid iron myself, although I didnt much like it when that chunk bounced off my head and almost tore my arm off! 11 stitches in the fore head and a grade 3 plus shoulder separation.......4 inch incision when they went in to fix it....

Comment

Ouch! How, what... ???

Comment

Originally posted by usmcpop View Post
                        Ouch! How, what... ???
                        Early '05, loading a truck and the guy in the truck lost his grip on a fence panel. It knocked me out for a few seconds and destroyed my shoulder. They cut an inch and a half off my collarbone so they had good material to re-attach all the ligaments. Put a screw in to hold it together till it healed and took that out 6 wks later. Doc said out of the hundreds of procedures he had done, I was one of two that had the screw strip out from using it too much before it healed...I dont know what he was talking about

Comment

I just got a couple torsion bars that we're going to use as huge pry bars. They are about 1.5 inches thick and about 4 feet long. They are some of the toughest feeling steel pieces we have around.
                          Abstract Metal Wall Art and Abstract Metal Art

Miller 175 Mig - Set up for stainless and mild
                          Miller 250 with spool
                          Miller Spectrum 375 Plasma

Comment

Hello George

1 1/2" thick? They wern't off a Pinto ! Sounds more like off the rear end off a roadway trailer. Nice steel for tools. chisels ect. Also a lot of good tool steel at the auto wreckers. transmission Floor shift levers from large trucks are great
                            tool making steel,as are axels

Comment

Working...
                            X