Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building a 2x5 BBQ grill - what gauge steel?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a 2x5 BBQ grill - what gauge steel?

I'm wondering how thick the steel should be for the firebox part. I don't want it to be too heavy weightwise, but I don't want it to disintegrate under heat.

Does anyone know?

You can't go too thick. Any steel will burn out in time. It just takes longer when it's thicker. You will probably get a dozen different opinions, but I'd say 3/16" min for decent longevity. I've got a pit built from an old 32 gal tractor propane (fuel) tank. It's about 3/16 and I put a thick plate with slots in it on the bottom where I build the fire. This keeps the fire off the bottom and also allows some air flow under the fire. Also, I clean the ashes out EACH time I get done so they don't contribute to corrosion and I've used this pit for a number of years.
    Jim

Miller MM 210
    Miller Dialarc 250P
    Airco 225 engine driven
    Victor O/A
    Lots of other tools and always wanting more

Comment

3/16" was what I was thinking. My plan was to install some expanded steel along the bottom to hold the coals off the bottom of the box. Think it'll work?

Comment

Yep, it will work. Put some space between the expanded metal and the bottom of the pit and just lay the metal in w/out welding it. That way you can easily replace it when necessary.
        Jim

Miller MM 210
        Miller Dialarc 250P
        Airco 225 engine driven
        Victor O/A
        Lots of other tools and always wanting more

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Di View Post
          3/16" was what I was thinking. My plan was to install some expanded steel along the bottom to hold the coals off the bottom of the box. Think it'll work?
          Are you building a horizontal offset, vertical, or just a plain grill? I do a lot of cooking on two different smaller pits, smoking and grilling and may be able to offer a little insight I have figured out or been taught by others over the years depending on the style of pit you are building.

Be choosy when looking at expanded steel. Too small and the ashes will sit on top of the grate and smother the hot coals/bottom of the log, to big and the smaller hot coals will fall through the grate into the ashes below and smother thereby reducing efficiency and increasing fuel usage.

Comment

Working...
          X