expanded metal question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• expanded metal question

i am thinking of purchasing some steel in flattened expanded metal. my choice of sizes are:

1/2 #13
    3/4 13#
    3/4 #16
    3/4 9#

i am not familiar with this material. what do the above numbers mean as far as thickness, spacing and or dimensions? thank you.
    5 rules for happiness:

1. free your heart from hatred
    2. free your mind from worries
    3. live simply
    4. give more
    5. expect less

milwaukee 12 amp 4.5" angle grinder
    Rigid chop saw
    Rigid 3" drill press
    4 X 6 horizontal band saw
    porter cable 1410 dry cut saw
    milwaukee 8" metal cutting circular saw
    Van Sant 1 HP multi-tool/grinder
    O/A setup
    TA 185
    MM 212
    Cutmaster 52

Scroll down a little and it gives you some info about the #'s you posted.... be ready that stuff isn't cheap...
    Mike

http://www.marcospecialtysteel.com/expandedmetal.htm
    George W. Bush saving your butt whether you like it or not!
    If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.
    Thomas Paine
    Fear is temporary, regret is forever
    HH210 w S.G.
    Victor/Uniweld O/P
    Dewalt Chop Saw

Comment

thanks, 84ZMike.
      5 rules for happiness:

3. live simply
      4. give more
      5. expect less

Rigid chop saw
      Rigid 3" drill press
      O/A setup
      TA 185
      MM 212
      Cutmaster 52

Comment

www.Nilesexpandedmetals.com also has information and quite a few different designs in expanded metals. Might wanna look at it also.

Comment

I just picked up a 4ft x 8 ft sheet of 3/4 inch #9 flattened at my local supplier and paid $54.40. I want this for shelving (dust and dirt falls through) and have used it for bucket expansion to hold limb debris, etc. It's pretty stiff and strong.

Comment

I use the 3/4 #9 for smoker grates. I use the flatten material. It works well for that.
            Rick in Arkansas
            www.spider-webdesign.net
            www.ironsidewelding.com

Comment

For my fences I use 3/4" #13 galvanized which is 16ga...#9 is 11ga

Quite often you can get away with the #13 for shelving with cross support bars. The Chinese have opened my eyes to building stuff with thinner materials, if you brace it right. I agree most of their stuff is junk, but some of it shows pretty good ingenuity. Take the good and leave the bad, I say.

Comment

thanks for all the info. i was planning on buying a 4x8 sheet of this stuff for a headache rack, and save the rest as remnants. i was thinking of 11 guage square tubing for the frame, but not sure on the expanded metal. is #13 ok, or should i stick with the #9? i'll be putting it on the back of my chevy s10.
                5 rules for happiness:

3. live simply
                4. give more
                5. expect less

Rigid chop saw
                Rigid 3" drill press
                O/A setup
                TA 185
                MM 212
                Cutmaster 52

Comment

Go with the #9...I think the #13 would be just too wimpy.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky D View Post
                    For my fences I use 3/4" #13 galvanized which is 16ga...#9 is 11ga

Quite often you can get away with the #13 for shelving with cross support bars. The Chinese have opened my eyes to building stuff with thinner materials, if you brace it right. I agree most of their stuff is junk, but some of it shows pretty good ingenuity. Take the good and leave the bad, I say.
                    I get a chance to see stuff I built 30 yrs ago, today its so much lighter. My guesses are still about 1 gage heavier than the engineered numbers.
                    I am amazed at the quality of some of the China stuff today, especially some of the welding and finish. Seen some stuff lately that it was obvious that it wasn't his first day on the job with the mig. My Bud bought a folding engine crane, everything about it was flawless, great design, heavy enough materials, beautiful welding, perfect paint.
                    http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

Originally posted by RickSidebottom View Post
                      I use the 3/4 #9 for smoker grates. I use the flatten material. It works well for that.
                      I have to agree with Rick on the 3/4#9 flattened for the grills and just about anything else. The flattened is nice as it has no sharp edges so, no worries about clothes and body parts or any little ones or wifey wandering near it. Plus I just use the one kind cuts down on the inventory and storage.
                      Detroit Metro area, $64.00 a full panel last time I bought some.
                      glen, been there, done that and probably broke it!If you aren't on the edge. You'r taking up to much room

Comment

Working...
                      X