76'diameter trapezium dome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 76'diameter trapezium dome

What would be the welding schedule or how often I should put bolts into make a secure dome please it would have 256 sections saint-ny-timsmith-00180.jpg
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Rocky; 02-15-2016, 02:43 AM.

Originally posted by Rocky View Post
    What would be the welding schedule or how often I should put bolts into make a secure dome please it would have 256 sections saint-ny-timsmith-00180.jpg
    I'll be a sport and assume this is a serious query.

Unless you are building a piece of artwork for your (presumably very large) back yard, these are questions for a Professional Engineer, who would have to have detailed design information in order to sign off on it. There's no way anyone here can give you any other response except this one.
    CanoeCruiser
    Harris dual-stage O/A
    Lincoln AC/DC buzzbox
    Hobart IronMan 210
    Lincoln PowerMig 135
    Miller 3035 spoolgun
    Thermal Arc 185
    Thermadyne Cutmaster 52
    Angle grinders, vicegrips, the usual suspects
    Two hands, tired body, not enough time...

Comment

Originally posted by canoecruiser View Post
      I'll be a sport and assume this is a serious query.

Unless you are building a piece of artwork for your (presumably very large) back yard, these are questions for a Professional Engineer, who would have to have detailed design information in order to sign off on it. There's no way anyone here can give you any other response except this one.
      yes it is a piece of art work for a very large backyard

Comment

I'm still going to second canoecruiser's recommendation for an engineer. Unless you have an extraordinarily large backyard with no high winds and never have company, there is a serious liability issue if the sculpture fails.
        Blacksmith
        Stickmate LX AC/DC
        Big cheap (Chinese) Anvil
        Hand cranked coal forge
        Freon bottle propane forge
        HH 210 and bottle of C25

Comment

seeing Engineer tomorrow

Comment

Before you lay out any cash for a PE determination, you might want to investigate what requirements your homeowners' insurance carrier expects in order to indemnify you against liability if there is a structural failure, or merely if someone climbs on it and falls off. A structure of the size you indicated isn't a trivial addition like, say, a small grape arbor made with a few pieces of wood lattice. It could require a separate rider for coverage, and besides a PE sign-off, almost certainly a building permit by the local authorities to be legal (and coverable by the insurer). In addition the insurer (and perhaps the permit issuer) may require that any welding be performed by a welder possessing certification in the chosen welding process.

A note about insurance.....if you insure for $20k and are sued, the insurer could decide it's cheaper to pay out the $20k and leave you to be raped for the balance should something bad happen. If it's a small amount to bump the coverage to (for example) $500k then they bring their legal A-team to fight on your and theirs behalf as their exposure is greater.

Not meaning to be a wet blanket, just thinking it would be prudent to research all aspects of this project so you go into it with open eyes.
            CanoeCruiser
            Harris dual-stage O/A
            Lincoln AC/DC buzzbox
            Hobart IronMan 210
            Lincoln PowerMig 135
            Miller 3035 spoolgun
            Thermal Arc 185
            Thermadyne Cutmaster 52
            Angle grinders, vicegrips, the usual suspects
            Two hands, tired body, not enough time...

Comment

Not to mention the zoning board, of what every governing body will be over this.
              Some locations ya can't put up an ordinary Gazebo, with stuffing some~one's pocket at city hall.
              sigpicViceGrip
              Negative people have a problem for every solution

Comment

Originally posted by canoecruiser View Post
                ... A note about insurance...
                Tarzan had to retire and move into a trailer when his insurer saw the tree house and the vines he was swinging on - canceled the policy immediately.

Tarzan mad - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwHWbsvgQUE
                --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
                -------------------------

Comment

Working...
                X