welding thin 16 ga and 18 ga Aluminum with a spool gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• welding thin 16 ga and 18 ga Aluminum with a spool gun

i am new to welding aluminum and i have a ironman 230 with a optional hobart spool gun. The chart on the welder says it will weld 16 and 18 ga aluminum with a spool gun. i tried the settings on this chart. They did not work. i kept burning thru. Ive tried a fast travel speed with the same results. Tried lowering the power setting to the lowest notch and still burn thru. Even tried turning the 100% argon up and down with the same result. i was wondering there is a electrode in the cabinet, behind the spool of wire. Its a setting labeled 230v or theres a 200v. Is the a high setting and low setting for this welder? If so would this solve my problem with welding 16 and 18 ga aluminum

Do you have correct polarity for aluminum?...

Dale
    Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

it says electrode positive but i have tried electrode negative too and it just makes nasty lil bubblegum looking *****

Comment

it welds 1/4'' and 1/8'' aluminum perfectly fine. its just like it has way too much power. so i didnt know if changing the electrode to 200v would get the power down enough to weld 16 and 18 ga?

Comment

That thin is a TIG job.
          So little time...So many machine tools.........
          www.flipmeisters.com

Miller, Hobart & Lincoln TIG/MIG/-
          Hypertherm Plasma (Thanks Jim)
          Plasma-Cam DHC (coming shortly)
          Harris OA
          Too many motorcycles.............-
          sigpic

Comment

I've been told, that when you increase the wire speed, you also increase the voltage.

The guy that said it was a college instructor/prof.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin JB Ranch View Post
              i am new to welding aluminum and i have a ironman 230 with a optional hobart spool gun. The chart on the welder says it will weld 16 and 18 ga aluminum with a spool gun. i tried the settings on this chart. They did not work. i kept burning thru. Ive tried a fast travel speed with the same results. Tried lowering the power setting to the lowest notch and still burn thru. Even tried turning the 100% argon up and down with the same result. i was wondering there is a electrode in the cabinet, behind the spool of wire. Its a setting labeled 230v or theres a 200v. Is the a high setting and low setting for this welder? If so would this solve my problem with welding 16 and 18 ga aluminum
              Have you tried reading here?

http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...minum-Workshop

Comment

i was wondering there is a electrode in the cabinet, behind the spool of wire. Its a setting labeled 230v or theres a 200v. Is the a high setting and low setting for this welder? If so would this solve my problem with welding 16 and 18 ga aluminum
                it welds 1/4'' and 1/8'' aluminum perfectly fine. its just like it has way too much power. so i didnt know if changing the electrode to 200v would get the power down enough to weld 16 and 18 ga?
                My reading here indicates, (or at least insinuates) you have absolutely no understanding
                of how your welder works, or even of what it's components are called and what they do.

I would back up a few steps and beef up your basics understanding before you wreck something.
                A few hours on the internet and you should be headed in the right direction.
                Start @ ZERO or GO, basic electricity, welding basics, basic families of the components in welders,
                and grow from there.

Not picking on you. The way I grew up, I tripped over the basics, by just being around stuff like this.
                And even still worked without correctly understanding a few things. In working around folks that
                do know what they're talking about it's a more natural learning curve.
                A month doesn't go by, that I don't learn something
                from other members on this board.

YOU seem to be starting at a disadvantage, like so many these days.
                Life allows folks to reach adulthood, not even knowing where North is,
                or what the "+" & the "--" is on a D cell.
                Last edited by vicegrip; 11-22-2015, 12:02 PM.
                sigpicViceGrip
                Negative people have a problem for every solution

Comment

Lots of good internet links presented here for reading up on stuff. Getting some hands-on welding with someone who has experience can augment what you'll learn after exploring the suggested links. If there is a vo-tech center or community college handy-by, see if they have any evening classes. While it'll cost you a few hundred, you'll get to use a variety of equipment with an instructor that can critique your work, and you'll get up to speed faster than flying solo.

The equipment you listed is quality gear and gives you something to grow into. I'd suggest posting your location in your profile. Someone here could be nearby and give you some leads to help get you going.

Edit: I agree with Sidecar Flip, TIG is your best bet for the thin material you indicated.
                  Last edited by canoecruiser; 11-22-2015, 03:21 PM.
                  CanoeCruiser
                  Harris dual-stage O/A
                  Lincoln AC/DC buzzbox
                  Hobart IronMan 210
                  Lincoln PowerMig 135
                  Miller 3035 spoolgun
                  Thermal Arc 185
                  Thermadyne Cutmaster 52
                  Angle grinders, vicegrips, the usual suspects
                  Two hands, tired body, not enough time...

Comment

Great information!

Comment

Working...
                    X