cutting 3003 AL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cutting 3003 AL

got some .125 sheet wanting to cut into straight strips.

anyone recommend a circ saw blade or blade treatment of some sort that might be able to do it without gumming up?
    Mike

sigpic WHEELED VEHICLE SERVICE SINCE 1960

I have the same material and use the Freud carbide metal-cutting blade that mounts in a conventional Skilsaw. Use eye and hearing protection and wear long sleeves if you go this route; it's noisy and throws chips out with some force. I haven't found the need for lubricant. The blades are available at Lowes and Home Depot and specifically say they are intended for non-ferrous metals.

A sabre saw works for short cuts that have to be very precise, but it's slow.
    Last edited by canoecruiser; 02-15-2015, 09:34 PM.
    CanoeCruiser
    Harris dual-stage O/A
    Lincoln AC/DC buzzbox
    Hobart IronMan 210
    Lincoln PowerMig 135
    Miller 3035 spoolgun
    Thermal Arc 185
    Thermadyne Cutmaster 52
    Angle grinders, vicegrips, the usual suspects
    Two hands, tired body, not enough time...

Comment

thanks. will give it a try.
      Mike

sigpic WHEELED VEHICLE SERVICE SINCE 1960

Comment

I have used carbide tipped blade on table saw for small cuts (pieces) .... Go slow let blade "chew" off little bits at a time and wear plenty of eye and clothing protection, it throws aluminum "bites" everywhere....

Dale
        Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

I deal with 1/4" 3003 all the time and finally sprung for a Milwaukee 8" metal cutting saw. I had the best luck with the blade that comes with the saw (Endurance, I think). I use a wax lube stick (for door slides) from NAPA to keep the blade slick, about every 10 cuts or so, a light touch with the blade spinning is all that is required. I have also used the Irwin metal cutting blade (labeled for steel). It works well, but you need to keep it 'waxed' more frequently.

If the saw ever starts grabbing or seems to push harder through the material, STOP IMMEDIATELY AND LUBE THE BLADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If it grabs and stalls the saw, it is very hard to get the blade free from the aluminum, and often a carbide saw tooth will be stuck in the cut. Be sure you get the carbide tooth out of the saw kerf--if you try to resume cutting in the same kerf and hit the embedded carbide, you will dull every tooth on the blade in short order.(voice of experience...)

Comment

Working...
          X