Aluminum stick-welding vs MIG for different alloys, thicknesses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum stick-welding vs MIG for different alloys, thicknesses

I learned last year that electrodes are available for welding aluminum. I read some bashing of it on Metal Meet but thought I'd try it anyway. I've always used TIG and it's been pretty frustrating going most of the time.

The results are far better and more predictable than TIG, especially for dissimilar alloys and thicknesses -- I had a lot of burnthrough on the thinner piece when I tried TIG. And where fits aren't perfect, it's easier to deposit material and then weld it together. I even thought i might tack-weld with stick then clean up the welds with TIG (since the metal in the seam is probably cleaner and more consistent than what it's joining), the possibilities seem endless.

Then I thought would MIG be easier, faster, cleaner? I've never used it so try not to laugh, lol
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX, air-cooled & footpedal
    Hypertherm 380
    Dinky Ingersoll-Rand compr. w/ line filter and condensation filter
    Lincoln O/A
    Electrolytic derusting tank
    Asstd powertools

79 views, no reply?
    Hypertherm 380
    Lincoln O/A
    Asstd powertools

Comment

Maybe they think you're a troll. First the title is stick versus MIG, then your post is all about stick and TIG. Plus, if you can get better welds with what I understand to be aluminum rods with a stick welder than with a TIG welder (with which talented people have welded kitchen aluminum foil together with) then you are simultaneously the best stick welder and the worst TIG welder in the world.
      Blacksmith
      Stickmate LX AC/DC
      Big cheap (Chinese) Anvil
      Hand cranked coal forge
      Freon bottle propane forge
      HH 210 and bottle of C25

Comment

Thanks (and ouch!). I was asking if MIG was better than stick for welding different AL thicknesses and alloys together. I can only compare to TIG.

Sometimes I'm welding trash...are you saying a talented TIG welder can weld 16ga milled 6061 to a piece of cast potmetal hundreds of times thicker? I've done that, but only tack welds and while they're strong they're very hard to get down no matter how much cleaning is done because of all the impurities.
        Hypertherm 380
        Lincoln O/A
        Asstd powertools

Comment

Impurities are one thing and different thickness are another. Regardless of method, keep the arc focused on/aimed at the thicker piece and "wash" over the thinner piece. Aluminum MIG requires stiff, less favorable alloys to feed through a liner or a spoolgun.
          Blacksmith
          Stickmate LX AC/DC
          Big cheap (Chinese) Anvil
          Hand cranked coal forge
          Freon bottle propane forge
          HH 210 and bottle of C25

Comment

Working...
          X