No announcement yet.

hobart 140 with spool gun for aluminum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hobart 140 with spool gun for aluminum?

I have a hobart 140 and have learned enough to work with steel so the materials join in a structurally sound way, but my needs don't require that it looks like the pro's. I want to do some projects with 5086 and similar aluminum, nothing thicker than 3/8" or thinner than 1/8", and wonder if the hobart spool gun kit would be the best way to get started for the least cost. I won't be doing volume work, just very occassional projects.....any advice on going this route versus other equipment, the specific equipment I should be looking for to add, and where I might buy whatever is needed at the least cost would be appreciated. thanks.

I'm not familiar with the HH 140, but with just a quick glance at the unit's specifications I doubt whether even your minimum of 1/8" thick aluminum is attainable.
    Miller 251, Lincoln PrecisionTig 275, Miller DialArc 250 AC/DC, Hypertherm 900, Bridgeport J-head, Jet 14" lathe, South Bend 9" lathe, Hossfeld bender with a collection of dies driving me to the poorhouse, Logan shaper, Ellis 3000 bandsaw, Royersford drill press and a Victor Journeyman O/A.

Comment

Forget the 140 for 1/8"+ Aluminum. Years ago I bought a Lincoln 175 SP+, just because it might sorta stick together 1/8" Aluminum for a project I had. Never did it but it was the minimum welder I thought could do it (non-structural).
      --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
      -------------------------

Comment

Aluminum absorbs/dissipates heat readily. No way will a 140 work.
        Blacksmith
        Stickmate LX AC/DC
        Big cheap (Chinese) Anvil
        Hand cranked coal forge
        Freon bottle propane forge
        HH 210 and bottle of C25

Comment

I tried my HH140 without a spoolgun and it worked quite well on 1/8 aluminum. I did preheat and got good results using the 4943 wire. Start with a very shallow angle then quickly go to a steeper angle. Use a hot setting and go fast.

Comment

Working...
          X