4943 Wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4943 Wire

Has anyone used the 4943 aluminum wire. Some folks over in shopfloortalk speak very highly of it. I have ordered a spool from my local WSS but its slow getting here. I have an Ironman 230 and have been trying my hand with the other aluminum wire and can do a decent job of it, but the 4943 is supposed to be easier to apply. About my Ironman 230, absolutely first class. And My Hobart plasma cutter is also. Coming soon is a small portable flux core wire feed for doing inside the house jobs. I've researched the Handler 140 and it seems to meet my requirements but would welcome input on other possibilities.

Originally posted by Hunter55 View Post
    Has anyone used the 4943 aluminum wire. Some folks over in shopfloortalk speak very highly of it. I have ordered a spool from my local WSS but its slow getting here. I have an Ironman 230 and have been trying my hand with the other aluminum wire and can do a decent job of it, but the 4943 is supposed to be easier to apply. About my Ironman 230, absolutely first class. And My Hobart plasma cutter is also. Coming soon is a small portable flux core wire feed for doing inside the house jobs. I've researched the Handler 140 and it seems to meet my requirements but would welcome input on other possibilities.
    Haven't used it yet, but it was designed as a better alternative (higher strength, easier to use) to 4043. Hobart Bros. (ITW) took over Maxal in 2010, and put out a new aluminum welding guide with a page or two on Maxal 4943, and were supposed to include more info in another revision in June, 2014. Haven't seen it yet, but here is a link to the 2013 edition.

http://www.lopdf.net/d/Aluminum-Syst...-Equipment.pdf

Perhaps one of the Hobart experts could give us more info.

On the 140, why not stick to purely Hobart, since this machine works as well as anything else out there, for the price?

Comment

I have that material on the way, along with some others from maxal. Apparently when alcotec was sold, the main couple of guys created maxal, and have top notch material. It was recommended to me by a miller rep.
      I will have a opinion soon
      Miller dynasty 350
      Miller syncrowave 250
      Miller deltaweld 450
      Miller cp-300
      And one fancy microwelding setup

Comment

Aluminum

Thanks for the input. I went with the Handler, got it Saturday and had it fired up in 30 minutes. Excellent performance. Far superior to the Lincoln I had. As for the wire, I have ordered it from 2 local supply stores so hopefully I will have a roll by weeks end. Will make a post as soon as I have something to report. I did thoroughly research the 4943 on the Hobart site. Looking forward to honing my skills. Stay tuned. FYI: I spoke by phone with Hobart/Maxal and was informed that warehouses in California and Texas had the wire so apparently there isn't a shortage. Its interesting that none of my LWS had it in stock.

Comment

4943 wire

Sorry for the long delay. Finally got the 4943 wire. "WOW" what a difference. I noticed it on the first pass. The Flow characteristics of this wire is far superior to the other 2 grades. I highly recommend this wire to anyone doing any aluminum welding. I am not a Pro welder, just a country boy with to many welders {if thats possible} who has a small shop on my property and does whatever comes my way. This wire will make your aluminum welding much easier. Thanks to to the folks at Hobart for this material. Quite a step up. Anyway here are some pics. The row of beads are the first ones I did as soon as the wire was in my spool gun. I did pre heat which I highly recommend doing. After running a few rows I just messed around with several settings to see what would happen. Not to shabby for a novice aluminum welder. The aluminum horseshoes were left over from another time in my life so I decided to give it a shot. They will go on Craigslist for sure. The best advice I can offer is clean the surface, "preheat" and "hot and fast". Enjoy.
          Attached Files

Comment

Here is a link to the Hobart Brothers product for 4943 wire.

http://www.hobartbrothers.com/produc...+MaxalMig+4943

Keith

Comment

Thanks for the link. I did research as bet as I could while waiting for the wire. My local Airgas came thru for me. They got it in a week. I'm very impressed with the performance of this wire. For my purposes its going to fulfill my every need. I'm using it in my Ironman 230 spoolgun with excellent results. I also tried a spool in my Handler 140 and was satisfied with the results. The Handler 140 is going to be my "housecall" welder. With the ability to use .030 / .024 / .023 and the 4943 its an excellent machine for what I want to do. A tip for anyone who might want to use their Handler for welding Aluminum, I discovered that starting your weld with a very shallow gun angle and then going near vertical quickly greatly reduces the possibility of making a mess at the drive roll. Again "preheat" is most important. To hot to touch with bare hand is a good reference.

Comment

Be careful with preheating. Although it is necessary in some instances it is not always needed or wanted. Hot to the touch should generally mean 125-145. When many types of aluminum get above 250 your getting into a sort of red zone. Properties begin to change after 350 and sometimes before that, you might lose elements to the base material you find desirable.
                All these temps Are in degrees Fahrenheit
                Miller dynasty 350
                Miller syncrowave 250
                Miller deltaweld 450
                Miller cp-300
                And one fancy microwelding setup

Comment

I have a 210 mvp with a spool gun .I have been practicing with .030 4043 .would the 4943 .035 work ok with a 115 volt or a 230 volt setting ?

Comment

It will work quite well on both. I put a spool in my Handler and got great results with 120 volts.

Comment

http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...ith-Maxal-4943

I like it..Bob
                      Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
                      Metal Master Fab
                      Salem, Ohio
                      Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
                      http://www.ceilingtrains.com/
                      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sawking/
                      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southbend10k/

Comment

Working...