tungsten melting away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tungsten melting away

I am welding some cast aluminum parts and it takes a quite a bit of amperage . what is happening is that my tungsten gets too hot and melts back quickly

I am using 100% argon

Miller synchrowave 351, AC with high freq start

Unfortunately, your post is noticeably devoid of any details that would allow anyone to help you... like what size and kind of tungsten you're using, and what amperage you're using.

So you're running 100% Argon now? Because in your last post you said you were using C25 with that machine.
    Last edited by Zrexxer; 05-17-2009, 04:17 PM.
    Trailblazer 302 * Millermatic 212 * Syncrowave 180SD * X-Treme 12VS Feeder * Spoolmate 3035
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Plasma * Lincoln 175 MIG

Victor Superrange II * Victor Journeyman

Hobart HH 125EZ

Comment

sorry, quite new to tig on aluminum, my first try actually

I have an argon flow of 20 so that should be correct according to what I read.

I am at about 125 amps in order to get the alum. to flow

I can weld for a very short time and then I see the tungsten is very red

size of tungsten is 3/32

Comment

125 amps shouldn't make your tungsten melt. Maybe you got a piece of stainless rod by mistake. We used to sneak one in on a guy when he took a break, then waited for him to strike an arc with it...
        Welding 1/4" and above, I use 1/8" 2% thoriated tungsten. Pure is recommended for aluminum, but 2% works just fine, too

Comment

Definately not enough useful info, but what the heck.

Are you running pure tungsten on DC? This would 'melt' it quickly.

You should run pure (green) on AC. Let's assume you are running pure on AC as you should.

99% of the time, if you are melting your tungsten, go up to the next diameter.

Scott
          American Made

Haul your MX or offroad bike without straps -> www.mxtras.com

MXtras' Storage Cabinet thread - http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...ad.php?t=15905

MXtras' Storage Cabinet Plans - http://reference.toolandfab.com/writ...nets/index.htm

Comment

I don't know of any 3/32" tungsten that will melt at 125 amps (?)

Comment

Very true.

Scott
              American Made

Haul your MX or offroad bike without straps -> www.mxtras.com

MXtras' Storage Cabinet thread - http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...ad.php?t=15905

MXtras' Storage Cabinet Plans - http://reference.toolandfab.com/writ...nets/index.htm

Comment

Does he have variable polarity "AC"? If so, maybe the reverse current cycle is turned up so high that he has it doing DC reverse current. That might melt a tungsten at 125A.

Comment

Answer: To much current for the size electrode used. JG
                  Long time Teacher - Processes
                  Owner - 2 LWS's
                  Hobart - Lincoln- Miller - ESAB(Linde)

Comment

Originally posted by weldgault View Post
                    Answer: To much current for the size electrode used. JG
                    Well, that's an answer, as you said... a wrong answer.

Unless the American Welding Society, Miller Welding, Lincoln Welding, and a host of welding textbook authors all got it wrong. As Rocky said, 125A AC will not melt 3/32" tungsten in the presence of sufficient shielding.
                    Last edited by Zrexxer; 05-19-2009, 04:58 PM.
                    Trailblazer 302 * Millermatic 212 * Syncrowave 180SD * X-Treme 12VS Feeder * Spoolmate 3035
                    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Plasma * Lincoln 175 MIG

Victor Superrange II * Victor Journeyman

Hobart HH 125EZ

Comment

Yes I agree totally 125amps will not do it unless like they said" wrong polarity" or you also metioned HF start you need continuous HF to weld aluminum tig. Pure tungsten was alway's used for aluminum but times have changed. They have other's you can used as mentioned also zerconiated or thoriated.

Comment

OK lets start from the beginning here: I like 1/8 in tungsten for just about anything thicker than 1/8 on aluminum......Pure tungsten, set the machine on AC (If it is a SQ wave balance the wave depending on cast cleanliness) If it is kinda dirty set the wave depth a couple clicks toward cleaning cycle from Balanced.
                        use pure argon set flow to 10 CFH and I would use 4043 filler probably 3/32
                        Preheat with OA rosebud depending on how big a part it is...Cast aluminum will suck the heat away fast......I soot up the area with a rich flame and then set a neutral flame and heat till the black disappears...Your ready to weld....If you still have tungsten problems then I would suspect problems with the machine.....
                        Some people require more attention than others.....Like a LOST DOG and strangers holding out biscuits....

Dynasty 350
                        Hobart Beta Mig 200
                        Twenty seven Hammers
                        Three Crow Bars
                        One English Springer Dog

A Big Rock

Comment

Working...
                        X