dirty Cast Aluminum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dirty Cast Aluminum

We have been talking about Cast Aluminum welding....Well here is some for you....This is a V-12 BMW oil pan that is going to be put into a BMW that had a 6 cylinder...
    The owner is a machinist and says it will work...I welded a couple pieces of bar stock into the side rails for him and he is going to machine that and then bring it back and I'm going to cover the bottom with a 1/4 plate (His specs)

Some people require more attention than others.....Like a LOST DOG and strangers holding out biscuits....

Dynasty 350
    Hobart Beta Mig 200
    Twenty seven Hammers
    Three Crow Bars
    One English Springer Dog

A Big Rock

Is that more DC welding or AC?

Comment

Just curious - what type of alloy bar stock did you weld into the original?
      --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
      -------------------------

Comment

Did you sweat the oil out of the pan multiple times, cleaning between each?? Acetone when you did? Inquiring minds want to know!...I'm also curious as to why he just didn't add capacity to the 6's pan...
        "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Originally posted by Brianstick View Post
          Is that more DC welding or AC?
          That's AC with alumix gas 75-25 argon helium 4043 filler
          Last edited by B_C; 01-14-2009, 11:28 PM.
          Some people require more attention than others.....Like a LOST DOG and strangers holding out biscuits....

Dynasty 350
          Hobart Beta Mig 200
          Twenty seven Hammers
          Three Crow Bars
          One English Springer Dog

A Big Rock

Comment

Originally posted by usmcpop View Post
            Just curious - what type of alloy bar stock did you weld into the original?
            1 1/2 x1/2 6061

Dynasty 350
            Hobart Beta Mig 200
            Twenty seven Hammers
            Three Crow Bars
            One English Springer Dog

A Big Rock

Comment

Originally posted by Hotfoot View Post
              Did you sweat the oil out of the pan multiple times, cleaning between each?? Acetone when you did? Inquiring minds want to know!...I'm also curious as to why he just didn't add capacity to the 6's pan...
              No no cleaning other that a light glass beading and whip with Alcohol.....
              It's a V-12 engine he is putting in the car that had a 6 cylinder....Pan won't clear the steering parts

Dynasty 350
              Hobart Beta Mig 200
              Twenty seven Hammers
              Three Crow Bars
              One English Springer Dog

A Big Rock

Comment

Originally posted by B_C View Post
                No no cleaning other that a light glass beading and whip with Alcohol.....
                It's a V-12 engine he is putting in the car that had a 6 cylinder....Pan won't clear the steering parts
                oK, I misunderstood...I thought he was amending a 12 pan to put on a 6 motor...that's a mighty shallow pan...is it a dry sump motor? I am surprised that the old pan wasn't oil soaked!
                "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

The pan on these motors is pretty shallow I think the oil level extends up into the engine block area....BMW has very good aluminum to weld on....

Dynasty 350
                  Hobart Beta Mig 200
                  Twenty seven Hammers
                  Three Crow Bars
                  One English Springer Dog

A Big Rock

Comment

Working...
                  X