DC Aluminum again....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC Aluminum again....

These parts are for a deep sea fishing guy that told me these hold the fishing pole?
    I welded them with DC - and Helium .060 5356 filler gas lens 3/32 thoriated tungsten.....170 amps...

Some people require more attention than others.....Like a LOST DOG and strangers holding out biscuits....

Dynasty 350
    Hobart Beta Mig 200
    Twenty seven Hammers
    Three Crow Bars
    One English Springer Dog

A Big Rock

Why not argon-AC?

Nice welds, B_C, but why did you choose to use helium-DC in this situation? In my opinion, the parts are of the size and thickness that could just as easily (and satisfactorily) be welded with argon and AC.
    LarryL

Comment

I think because it is FASTER and you can get tighter beads (like around those 1/4 holes)
      Some people require more attention than others.....Like a LOST DOG and strangers holding out biscuits....

Dynasty 350
      Hobart Beta Mig 200
      Twenty seven Hammers
      Three Crow Bars
      One English Springer Dog

A Big Rock

Comment

OK, I understand. Using argon-AC, I myself probably would have melted some of the countersunk areas right adjacent to the corner portion of the fillet weld.
        LarryL

Comment

BC:

I've done a fair amount of marine fabrication and, I guess, my share of rod holders/rocket launchers.

If that guy is using those pipes for rod holders, he's using the smallest butt rods (for offshore) I've ever seen. Could be for some other commercial application since, if it truly was for a Sportfisherman, it most likely would have been anodized material for appearance sake.

Nice welds regardless. I did note that you didn't take a closeup of that little goober (right side of the right holder in the photo) that popped up.

You do seem to get a decent amount of nice aluminum work. Sure it comes from having a good reputation in the area.
          SundownIII

Syncrowave 250DX, Tigrunner
          Dynasty 200 DX w/CM 3
          MM 251 w/30 A SG
          HH 187 Mig
          XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Pulser
          Dialarc 250 w/HF 15-1
          Hypertherm PM 1250 Plasma
          Victor, Harris, and Smith O/A
          PC Dry Cut Saw and (just added) Wilton (7x12) BS
          Mil Mod 6370-21 Metal Cut Saw
          More grinders than hands (Makita & Dewalt)
          Grizzly 6"x48" Belt Sander
          Access to full fab shop w/CNC Plasma & Waterjet
          Gas mixers (Smith(2) and Thermco)
          Miller BWE and BWE Dig

Comment

is that streight dc you used there? i tried welding aluminium dc with argon once and it !!!! well it didnt go to plan

fnc
            THE IMPOSIBLE I CAN DO,MIRACLES TAKE A LITTLE LONGER

Comment

Originally posted by fillncap View Post
              is that streight dc you used there? i tried welding aluminium dc with argon once and it !!!! well it didnt go to plan
              fnc
              Not using Helium was your problem

Comment

Hey BC,

Just out of curiosity, what's a 330 cu/ft bottle of helium costing you compared the the same size bottle of argon.

Thanks
                SundownIII

Dynasty 200 DX w/CM 3
                MM 251 w/30 A SG
                HH 187 Mig
                Dialarc 250 w/HF 15-1
                Miller BWE and BWE Dig

Comment

You can't weld aluminum with DC. Who are you trying to BS?
                  Two turn tables and a microphone.

Comment

What grade of Helium?

Hi B_C,

What is your prefered grade of helium? what flow rate do you use?
                    Sold the Cybertig for a Dynasty 350

Comment

Originally posted by Pangea View Post
                      You can't weld aluminum with DC. Who are you trying to BS?
                      Contrer Mon Frer, DC straight is used all the time...he would have consumed the holes, had he used AC on this job.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky D View Post
                        Contrer Mon Frer, DC straight is used all the time...he would have consumed the holes, had he used AC on this job.

No way! You would have to be some kind of "God of the welding craft" to do something like that! Maybe with special equipment and consumables like helium selected molecule by molecule in a laboratory or something like that.

Just kidding. I have a stalker that has a hard on for anything that I say about DCEN and I feel a masochistic urge to excite the beast on occasion. Naughty me.

Comment

Rocky D,

If you're saying DC is the "only" way this weld could have been accomplished, I would have to disagree with you. I do this type of weld all the time using AC.

With a "high balance" setting on a Sync 250 you're at about 68% electrode negative with a tight arc. With the inverters (Dynasty 200/350) you can go to 99% electrode negative (very tight arc). All this while still using AC and Argon shielding gas vs using helium (very expensive gas and requires a high flow rate).

BC used a process which he was comfortable using and accomplished his desired result. Others results will vary.

Pangea would like everyone to believe that I've made statements that aluminum couldn't be welded using DC. That is far from the truth. I have, in fact, used DC for welding aluminum but generally on much heavier material where my machine lacked the amps to do it in AC. I also have mixed (generally about 10%) helium with argon (Smith mixer) to "help out" the machine.

DC welding of aluminum has it's place and has been done for an eternity. I find it to be a somewhat limited process and very expensive considering the cost of helium and the required flow rates.

BTW Pangea. I'm still waiting (3 mos now) for a more detailed explanation of your comments about how Hi Freq cleans the weld bead by bombarding it with --- at 60K HZ or something to that effect.

You all have a nice day now.
                          SundownIII

Dynasty 200 DX w/CM 3
                          MM 251 w/30 A SG
                          HH 187 Mig
                          Dialarc 250 w/HF 15-1
                          Miller BWE and BWE Dig

Comment

Like I said, a stalker.

Comment

TIG welding is also called GTAW (Gas Tungsten Arc Welding) and Heliarc® welding. Heliarc® was the trade name given to the process by Linde's when it was introduced decades ago and was used to weld aluminum DC- with Helium shielding gas long before Square wave AC TIG welders were developed with HF to start and maintain arc while welding aluminum.

http://www.thefabricator.com/ArcWeld...cle.cfm?ID=786
                              http://www.weldinginfocenter.com/history/his_01.html
                              Last edited by Roger; 01-09-2009, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X