Yeah another tank....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah another tank....

Water tank for my buddy's toy hauler to hold wash the bikes water.....

Some people require more attention than others.....Like a LOST DOG and strangers holding out biscuits....

Dynasty 350
    Hobart Beta Mig 200
    Twenty seven Hammers
    Three Crow Bars
    One English Springer Dog

A Big Rock

I enjoy looking at your nice aluminum welds. Please keep posting them. It is great motivation for me to keep working on my aluminum welding skills.
    sigpic
    Miller Thunderbolt
    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Lincoln SP-250 MIG Welder
    Lincoln LE 31 MP
    Clausing/Coldchester 15" Lathe
    16" DuAll Saw
    15" Drill Press
    7" x 9" Swivel Head Horizontal Band Saw
    20 Ton Arbor Press
    Bridgeport

Comment

Beautiful! How do you DO that??? No warpage, either, don't look like you back-stepped,either...which is what I would not have done, either. What's the mat'l thickness?

Comment

It's 1/8" and I tack the heck out of it before welding complete.....What do you mean BACK STEP?

Thanks Rock, Merry Christmas

Some people require more attention than others.....Like a LOST DOG and strangers holding out biscuits....

Dynasty 350
        Hobart Beta Mig 200
        Twenty seven Hammers
        Three Crow Bars
        One English Springer Dog

A Big Rock

Comment

I've always enjoyed B_C's pics of his fuel tanks as it's something I also get involved with at work here in Oz.
          Here's some pics of one I'm in the middle of doing and it should be finished just after the New Year break. (apologies B_C if you feel I'm hijacking your thread)
          There's still a fair bit of work to do with extra baffling and a drop down sump to accommodate a pair of electric fuel pumps and pickups.
          Like B_C, I also prefer to use 3mm (approx .120") sheet (5005) if I can, especially on some of the larger tanks.
          From a personal view I like to have folded baffles and endplates and I make the endplates so they sit proud about 5mm (3/16") past the shell and this gives me a natural lap/corner weld. I also do the same with the lid and make it 5mm smaller than the tank all around for the same reason.
          It also allows to me to tack weld the flanges of the endplates on the inside of the tank to increase strength.
          You do however see where the tacking is done on the outside of the shell but if you keep the tacks pretty even it doesn't look too bad.
          Regards Andrew from Oz.

We are Tig welders, gravity doesn't worry us

Comment

using a pulser on those welds ? or are you just that dam good ( envious )

Comment

Originally posted by awill4x4 View Post
              I've always enjoyed B_C's pics of his fuel tanks as it's something I also get involved with at work here in Oz.
              Here's some pics of one I'm in the middle of doing and it should be finished just after the New Year break. (apologies B_C if you feel I'm hijacking your thread)
              There's still a fair bit of work to do with extra baffling and a drop down sump to accommodate a pair of electric fuel pumps and pickups.
              Like B_C, I also prefer to use 3mm (approx .120") sheet (5005) if I can, especially on some of the larger tanks.
              From a personal view I like to have folded baffles and endplates and I make the endplates so they sit proud about 5mm (3/16") past the shell and this gives me a natural lap/corner weld. I also do the same with the lid and make it 5mm smaller than the tank all around for the same reason.
              It also allows to me to tack weld the flanges of the endplates on the inside of the tank to increase strength.
              You do however see where the tacking is done on the outside of the shell but if you keep the tacks pretty even it doesn't look too bad.
              Regards Andrew from Oz.

Hey no hard feeling here...I like seeing other projects so "Bring em On" Love that Table.....

And Merry Christmas

Dynasty 350
              Hobart Beta Mig 200
              Twenty seven Hammers
              Three Crow Bars
              One English Springer Dog

A Big Rock

Comment

Originally posted by Don52 View Post
                I enjoy looking at your nice aluminum welds. Please keep posting them. It is great motivation for me to keep working on my aluminum welding skills.
                I wish I could weld aluminum like that also. The truth is, there just isn't enough broken aluminum things around here to weld, and I don't weld for a living. I took welding at night school years ago and we welded aluminum but we didn't spend enough hours on it to be able to do anything like that. A guy told me one time that aluminum is tricky, and I found out he was right. I tried welding an aluminum bracket one time for a golf cart and it came out like absolute sh*t! I was embarrassed to give it back to him. Several days later I talked to a "real weldor" and asked him why I had problems with it collapsing. He said I needed to use more heat and have a faster travel speed. Now when I weld aluminum I spend about 30 minutes practicing on scrap before I weld my good piece. Then when I finally do get good results, I take notes of my settings on the machine and how I did it, because it might be 6 months or more before I do it again. So yeah, welds like that are a big deal to some of us hobby weldors.

Comment

Dynasty 350
                  Hobart Beta Mig 200
                  Twenty seven Hammers
                  Three Crow Bars
                  One English Springer Dog

A Big Rock

Comment

Wow, have you done any fuel cells? Looks really good!

J.D.
                    Hobart Handler 140

Comment

Working...
                    X