Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aluminum tank questions

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Aluminum tank questions

    I am a noob at MIG welding aluminum but I just got a HH210 and a spoolgun. I am about to fab up a tank and have some questions for the experts. I have a few criteria that I need to follow, so I'll give you the down and dirty. I am making a 125 gallon tank (livewell) that must me under 100lbs, and must be robust. I am planning on going with 11 gauge (0.090) but I am afraid that thin of material won't be to forgiving for a novice MIG welder like me. I have TIG'd aluminum many moons ago though. I plan on going with 3003 because the corners will be bent. What do you guys think, to thin, unreal expectations?

    Ok here are a few questions also, I have gotten a few prices on "11 gauge" material through my local welding shops and the prices have varied anything for $125-$175 a sheet. I didn't think much about it until I saw the gauge thickness charts on here......those numbers are for STEEL not aluminum. 11 gauge aluminum is .090 but steel is 1/8", BIG difference. I referenced back to my prices and I got to wondering if some of the welding shops assumed I meant 11 gauge steel equivalent instead of .090AL. Also in my haste I didn’t ask if they were quoting me 3003 and not 6061 which I will assume they weren't. Is it "best practice" to assume 11 gauge is referenced as .125 for all materials?

    Allen

  • #2
    First thing I need to know is how are you going to configure your tank? Is going to be a two piece square tank? are you planning on welding a bunch of pieces together to make your tank? Is it going to be a formed round tank?...And if your not REAL familiar with a spool gun why are you going to try for a liquid tight seal?I think aluminum is a bad choice for a DRINKING water tank.....why not plastic or vinyl?
    Some people require more attention than others.....Like a LOST DOG and strangers holding out biscuits....

    Dynasty 350
    Hobart Beta Mig 200
    Twenty seven Hammers
    Three Crow Bars
    One English Springer Dog



    A Big Rock

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by B_C View Post
      First thing I need to know is how are you going to configure your tank? Is going to be a two piece square tank? are you planning on welding a bunch of pieces together to make your tank? Is it going to be a formed round tank?...And if your not REAL familiar with a spool gun why are you going to try for a liquid tight seal?I think aluminum is a bad choice for a DRINKING water tank.....why not plastic or vinyl?
      I'm glad you chimed in. This "tank" is actually a removable livewell for my boat. It will drop in, in front of my my console. It's shaped like a trailer tongue toolbox. It will be configured for 100 gallons most of the time. I plan on forming the sides out of one piece, with one seam. The top and bottom will have to be lapped and welded.
      My first idea was plastic and I decided that HDPE was going to be a little too heavy for me to lift out of my boat.

      Comment


      • #4
        That must be one BIG boat to haul that around!! 100 gallons? Thats 850 lbs of water alone!

        Steve
        Dont force it, use a BIGGER hammer.

        Linde VI-252C and Linde wire feeder.
        Hobart Cyberwave 300c.
        HH 140.
        Miller Big 40.
        Lincoln SAE 200J.
        Hobart GR-303.
        Lincoln tombstone welder.

        Comment


        • #5
          It's for them BIG Alabama catfish!
          I live in my own little world. That's OK, they understand me here.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by GilaSlim View Post
            It's for them BIG Alabama catfish!
            How'd you know?

            Comment


            • #7
              Used to catch a lot of big ol' Texas catfish. My grandparents had a farm and private lake in Mills County. Went there every summer. Figured Alabama catfish would be closely related.
              I live in my own little world. That's OK, they understand me here.

              Comment


              • #8
                I guess I wasn't paying attn. when you said
                "Live well" It didn't register with me that you were talking about a fishing boat deal.....Aluminum will work fine for that..I thought you were going to drink the water....As far as thickness I would build it from 1/8" sheet metal...and you can mig that with a good gun and the right gas.....I would probably tig it because that's what I do the most, but mig would be a ton faster....
                Don't think I would want to use anything thinner than 1/8" That's just me though.....
                Some people require more attention than others.....Like a LOST DOG and strangers holding out biscuits....

                Dynasty 350
                Hobart Beta Mig 200
                Twenty seven Hammers
                Three Crow Bars
                One English Springer Dog



                A Big Rock

                Comment


                • #9
                  You fish Guntersville and Wilson lakes? Many of my co-workers fish those two bodies of water and catch large fish. One guy carves his name on the head of the real big fish and throws them back. He says that when they get over 50# they don't taste all that good.

                  All of my aluminum MIG has been on thick stuff so I wouldn't be any help advising you. There is a guy that posts on this site that is really into boats and has built tanks. Sundowner III (I think) is his posting handle. Maybe you could send him a private message.

                  Good luck with your tank project and with your fishing.
                  Two turn tables and a microphone.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Pangea View Post
                    You fish Guntersville and Wilson lakes? Many of my co-workers fish those two bodies of water and catch large fish. One guy carves his name on the head of the real big fish and throws them back. He says that when they get over 50# they don't taste all that good.

                    All of my aluminum MIG has been on thick stuff so I wouldn't be any help advising you. There is a guy that posts on this site that is really into boats and has built tanks. Sundowner III (I think) is his posting handle. Maybe you could send him a private message.

                    Good luck with your tank project and with your fishing.
                    Thanks for the feedback guys.

                    Yes I fish those lakes, and Wheeler too. I have chatted back and forth with Sundowner and you are right he is very knowledgable about marine applications.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I haven't done any fishing from boats in years but am just curious about the effect of water sloshing in a 100 gallon live well on the stability of a boat. I've never seen baffles in a live well, but then, I don't think I've ever looked into a 100 gallon one. It might be usual for a fisherman, though, only to keep 40 to 50 gallons of water in a 100 gallon live well so any imbalance caused by sloshing may be insignificant.
                      LarryL

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by LarryL View Post
                        I haven't done any fishing from boats in years but am just curious about the effect of water sloshing in a 100 gallon live well on the stability of a boat. I've never seen baffles in a live well, but then, I don't think I've ever looked into a 100 gallon one. It might be usual for a fisherman, though, only to keep 40 to 50 gallons of water in a 100 gallon live well so any imbalance caused by sloshing may be insignificant.
                        LarryL
                        Not much effect. I usually run "empty" with about 15 gallons in the boat to keep the tank from flying out while running. After I get the first fish in the boat I fill it all the way up. If you put 100 gallons of water in a 100 gallon tank.......there won't be much slosh.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by GilaSlim View Post
                          It's for them BIG Alabama catfish!
                          You call dem BIG Catfish??? This is a BIG Catfish!!

                          "Good Enough Never Is"

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Looks more like a fresh-water whale!

                            GS
                            I live in my own little world. That's OK, they understand me here.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              [QUOTE=Hotfoot;343738]You call dem BIG Catfish??? This is a BIG Catfish!!

                              Sorry to rain on your parade but it's a whale shark.
                              Regards Andrew from Oz.
                              http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/giantcatfish.asp
                              We are Tig welders, gravity doesn't worry us

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X