Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about tigging cast AL

Hi all,
    I got this job of welding a starter mount on a 4wheeler and its cast AL. What filler rod do I need to use? 4043 or 5356? Or is there another filler rod I need to use? Never tigged cast AL before so its new to me. Besides needing cleaned very well as its part of the crankcase. Anything else I need to know about? Going to clean it with brake parts cleaner and SS brush first and some AL cleaner and SS brush the second time. Do I need to grind a small Vee on the parts also?

Thanks

Steve
    Dont force it, use a BIGGER hammer.

Linde VI-252C and Linde wire feeder.
    Hobart Cyberwave 300c.
    HH 140.
    Miller Big 40.
    Lincoln SAE 200J.
    Hobart GR-303.
    Lincoln tombstone welder.

Depending on how clean the casting is will determine your success.. I always use 4043 (3/32) filler with cast. 1/8 " Tungsten.. Might want to get yourself some Alumix gas for the job or pre-heat with OA and a rosebud....Sounds like a pretty big area your welding to and it will Suck the heat away from the weld joint....Grind a weld prep
    Some people require more attention than others.....Like a LOST DOG and strangers holding out biscuits....

Dynasty 350
    Hobart Beta Mig 200
    Twenty seven Hammers
    Three Crow Bars
    One English Springer Dog

A Big Rock

Comment

BC,
      I was thinking that a preheat was in order. As for being clean, do you think that cleaning the way I described will be enough or do I need to do something else? Maybe a little heat and a SS brush before anything else to help "cook" out some of the oil from the crankcase?

Thanks
      Steve

Hobart Cyberwave 300c.
      HH 140.
      Miller Big 40.
      Lincoln SAE 200J.
      Hobart GR-303.

Comment

I was kinda thinking about that oil....If you clean with acetone or denatured alcohol that is about as good as your going to get...If you use Alumix I don't think you will have to preheat. I would be able to give you a better answer if I saw the application.
        Some people require more attention than others.....Like a LOST DOG and strangers holding out biscuits....

Dynasty 350
        Hobart Beta Mig 200
        Twenty seven Hammers
        Three Crow Bars
        One English Springer Dog

A Big Rock

Comment

Whats Alumix? Ive never heard of it. Unless its a custom mix, the only thing available around here is Argon. Im going to pick the 4 wheeler hopefully tomorrow

Steve
          Last edited by acwd1950; 12-07-2008, 10:39 PM.

Hobart Cyberwave 300c.
          HH 140.
          Miller Big 40.
          Lincoln SAE 200J.
          Hobart GR-303.

Comment

It's a mix of Argon and helium....you have to ask for it, but I'm sure they will know what your talking about....It's not SPACE SCIENCE....LOL

Dynasty 350
            Hobart Beta Mig 200
            Twenty seven Hammers
            Three Crow Bars
            One English Springer Dog

A Big Rock

Comment

Working...
            X