corner welding aluminum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• corner welding aluminum

Hey im new to the whole tig welder realm but i have welded aluminum with a spool gun for a few years not that that helps that mutch. any how im trying to weld 1/8 plate together on the corners but i am having trouble getting the 2 pices to create a single puddle. once i do get a single puddle i can make a bead that is ok fo just starting. my welder is a syncrowave 250 dx 3/32 tungsten and using argon only. voltage at 110 ish and the wave is balanced or a bit to the penetrate side any help would be great. thanks

Inside corner joint or outside corner joint.

Outside is easy if you just dab a little wire to get started then get busy adding wire and welding. Tack often to keep the joint correct.

If you want to weld an outside corner joint autogenous, it's a bit harder. I just gag the tungsten a tiny bit into the puddle and it flows together very easily. I know that I will catch some flack for advocating the gaging of tungsten on purpose but if you do it right, you wont hurt the tungsten or the weld.

Inside corner joints are tough if you aren't experienced at it. Start away from an inside corner and run in towards it.

Ten different welders will tell you ten different ways to do the same thing.
    Two turn tables and a microphone.

Comment

yah it is the outside corner but my problem is tacking it together without wire. im new so can you tell me what gaging is? thanks

Comment

Gagging the tungsten = touching the puddle. If you do it ever so gently, you can get by without hurting the weld.

I spail reel bad. Meant to say gagging.
        Two turn tables and a microphone.

Comment

I find it easier to start a bit away from the corner - maybe 1/2" oor so, then once a bead is somewhat esablished run it to the corner and start the final weld.

As mentioned, everyone is different. I weld a lot of 1/8 AL tubing in any number of joint configurations with a 250DX. I usually run 1/8" tungsten, 100% argon, 20-25 CFH, #7 cup at around 120-140 amps. I usually set the output max to around 190A then moderate with the pedal. I floor it to get started then back of as the welding starts.

It might help you to sand/grind a small flat on the outside corner - this way you will have the ability to add filler without so much build.

Scott
          Last edited by MXtras; 11-07-2008, 02:26 PM.
          American Made

Haul your MX or offroad bike without straps -> www.mxtras.com

MXtras' Storage Cabinet thread - http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...ad.php?t=15905

MXtras' Storage Cabinet Plans - http://reference.toolandfab.com/writ...nets/index.htm

Comment

I do the Pangea way and sometimes it will just fuse without touching also...the techique is aquired and worth learning.
            Miller Dynasty 700...oh yea baby!
            MM 350P PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
            Miller Bobcat 225 NT
            Miller Dynasty 200 DX
            Miller WC-115-A
            Miller 30-A spoolgun
            Airco 300 Heliwelder (465 amp and made by Miller)
            Miller Spectrum 300
            Lincoln SP-135-Plus (down the road now)

Comment

I probably should have read ALL the replies before jumping in here...BUT...As soon as I saw your settings I figured that I would at least talk about that. Unless you are production welding (same part after part) Setting the machine to be FLOORED
              probably won't be a good idea...Why you ask? Because aluminum soaks up heat really fast, and you will need that little extra ( Pedal) to get through CORNERS. I hardly ever set my machine with less than 130 amps on 1/8 aluminum....So that is something you can try right away....What Pangea said
              about different styles of welding a corner is pretty close to what everyone that weld aluminum will do... Just remember.....You need the extra amps to get through a corner or you will spend too much time and over heat the area.
              Don't be afraid to run that rod in there with some Horse power behind it.

BC

Last edited by B_C; 11-13-2008, 07:25 PM.
              Some people require more attention than others.....Like a LOST DOG and strangers holding out biscuits....

Dynasty 350
              Hobart Beta Mig 200
              Twenty seven Hammers
              Three Crow Bars
              One English Springer Dog

A Big Rock

Comment

BC, Nice looking welds as usual.

Attached are some welds that I made on a fixture used to test the Hard stops on a robot for work. It includes outside and inside fillet welds. The metal thickness was about .080 inch thick. (Not quite the 1/8" you are working on.) I did use filler rod on all welds.
                sigpic
                Miller Thunderbolt
                Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
                Miller Dynasty 200DX
                Lincoln SP-250 MIG Welder
                Lincoln LE 31 MP
                Clausing/Coldchester 15" Lathe
                16" DuAll Saw
                15" Drill Press
                7" x 9" Swivel Head Horizontal Band Saw
                20 Ton Arbor Press
                Bridgeport

Comment

Cool that extruded
                  piece on the sides looks pretty tough...Welds look OK ....Top weld looks a little
                  cold but maybe just a little too much filler rod, which is just opposite of what most guys do (afraid to push the filler in ) So that's not a bad thing. Don't be afraid to use some HP on aluminum. I teach my guys to watch the puddle on the Parent metal and never let it deplete.... Looks good and strong...I think I would have wrapped the corners...

BC
                  Last edited by B_C; 11-19-2008, 05:46 PM.
                  Some people require more attention than others.....Like a LOST DOG and strangers holding out biscuits....

Dynasty 350
                  Hobart Beta Mig 200
                  Twenty seven Hammers
                  Three Crow Bars
                  One English Springer Dog

A Big Rock

Comment

I looked carefully at my corner welds and I agree with your assessment. Thanks for your comments.
                    sigpic
                    Miller Thunderbolt
                    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
                    Miller Dynasty 200DX
                    Lincoln SP-250 MIG Welder
                    Lincoln LE 31 MP
                    Clausing/Coldchester 15" Lathe
                    16" DuAll Saw
                    15" Drill Press
                    7" x 9" Swivel Head Horizontal Band Saw
                    20 Ton Arbor Press
                    Bridgeport

Comment

Typically speaking I think most engineers and good fabricators like seeing a WRAPPED corner weld....Makes for a stronger joint and assures that a Crack won't start from an unfinished weld.....I just like the way it looks over all..

BC

Dynasty 350
                      Hobart Beta Mig 200
                      Twenty seven Hammers
                      Three Crow Bars
                      One English Springer Dog

A Big Rock

Comment

Working...
                      X