Welding Boat Seam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding Boat Seam

Ok...so here is the issue. Need to weld a seam on the bow of a small aluminum boat that has begun to leak. Not a super expert of welding, just some casual welding I've done self teaching myself. I know I need to use Argon to weld with....but any hints or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
    HH140

Chicago Electric 130A TIG/90A Arc

The 140 is pretty good around the farm....the Chicago is pretty good at repairing Tonka trucks!

Quick added question.....is it possible to weld-aluminum with flux-core? I don't think it is but again want to check. Thanks!
    HH140

The 140 is pretty good around the farm....the Chicago is pretty good at repairing Tonka trucks!

Comment

I don't know of aluminum FC for a HH140, but you can do it with argon, and move steady and fast...aluminum dissipates heat rapidly. Make sure its clean before welding and leak test after.

Comment

Alright....so.....started working on the bottom of the flat bottom boat and I am having NO problem with it burning through. But...I am having trouble with it just beading and not creating a steady weld. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!
        HH140

Comment

I'm far from being an aluminum expert when it comes to MIG welding. However, It sounds like you might be trying to short circuit the weld. Aluminum MIG has to be done in the spray mode. I'm not real familier with the HH140 but I'm wondering if the machine has enough "Oomph" to get into spray mode.
          Having TIG'ed a fair amount of cracks in small boats I'm sure you are fighting dirt/contamination coming from the back side of the crack also.

Comment

MushingJeeper,

You're not having a problem blowing through because you're not melting the base metal (ie welding).

You've chosen not to follow the advice given on another forum regarding mig welding the thin aluminum on your jon boat. Proceed at your own risk.

Personally, I'd be looking for some similar gauge scrap aluminum to practice on, before I made such a mess of my boat that a "professional" welder can't fix it. Mig welding thin gauge aluminum is not a job learned overnight.
            SundownIII

Syncrowave 250DX, Tigrunner
            Dynasty 200 DX w/CM 3
            MM 251 w/30 A SG
            HH 187 Mig
            XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Pulser
            Dialarc 250 w/HF 15-1
            Hypertherm PM 1250 Plasma
            Victor, Harris, and Smith O/A
            PC Dry Cut Saw and (just added) Wilton (7x12) BS
            Mil Mod 6370-21 Metal Cut Saw
            More grinders than hands (Makita & Dewalt)
            Grizzly 6"x48" Belt Sander
            Access to full fab shop w/CNC Plasma & Waterjet
            Gas mixers (Smith(2) and Thermco)
            Miller BWE and BWE Dig

Comment

Sundown.....I am aware that I decided to proceed and give it a shot when given overwhelming advice not too, I'm one of those people that believes there is only one way to learn. I do not hold anyone other than myself 100% responsible for the outcome of my attempt, and will admit I am starting to convince myself that perhaps it is time for me to step back. Was just hoping to get any advice or pointers I could, not looking for any scape goat incase things go bad, I understand the risk I am taking.
              HH140

Comment

Working...
              X